Things to teach girls/small kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,
Since I saw the Thank you threads,

What would be good skills in today's world, to teach young girls/kids?

Thank you for the living, Pour a cold one and a remembering smile for the long passed ones.

All the best and enjoy the holidays, where ever you are.

How to live within their means, on a budget, and balance a checkbook, hopefully saving for the future.
That everything in life is not located on a (smartphone) screen.

For starters give them a working knowledge of basic car care and some of principles of how they operate. That'll save them headaches and money over and over; it's very few people that aren't affected by being without a car for any length of time. Car = job = money = paying rent/loans/food.

Young girls? Teach them they deserve respect and are worth attention and effort. Not in a way that makes a spoiled brat out of them, but in a way that keeps them from becoming subject to the good number of males out there that don't take the prerogative to treat them right. If enough women just flat quit putting up with the standard operating practice of the average young male, in a reasonable, sensible way (aka, not the "hoes before bros" kind of thing) guess what? That average young male would get the message instead of just moving on to the next easy, naïve booty.

Besides the basics of finance spending/borrowing.

Teach them that at least 80% of your success, will be your skill dealing with people. All the technical expertise, hands on skill , will be blunted and wasted without the ability to communicate, influence and inspire those around you.

In my opinion, raising/teaching children the ethic of hard work and effort is important. Teach them to expect nothing unless you earn it. The basics (if it exists anymore) of being kind, considerate, and friendly toward others. It would be highly beneficial to teach them love of country and respect to those that made our nation great. Teaching decent, time honored values (from my viewpoint, conservative/traditional ones). Respecting and assisting the elderly. I would teach them proper manners as well. I don't just mean saying please and thank you either. Raise them to learn a varied and well established vocabulary would be another important asset. For females, specifically, I would stress virtues such as modesty, chasity, and to take pride in what it means to be a woman. For males...it would be important to teach them honor, courage, sacrifice, respect and the role they should fulfill as a man. Both boys and girls should be raised to understand and cultivate the differences between the sexes and take pride in being great examples.

Just my "old man" opinion.

If I didn't have to get stuff organized for Thanksgiving (which is tomorrow) I know I'd spend 3 hours typing and polishing a response.

The answers, so far, are so solid and rich.

Heck, I was going to start with "sewing on a button and not just tossing a garment" BUT I was going to segue right into the need for boys to learn the same thing.

Car knowledge-mentioned
Finances-mentioned
Fitness and diet- Include tumbling or judo so they learn how to fall. It's an overlooked basic.
Avoidance of disease including uncomfortable-ones-to-mention like VD and alcoholism. Expose 'em to examples if need be.
A little dancing or judo or skating to develop balance if nothing more. I suppose you can tell I was/am balance challenged.
MUSIC. Don't overlook it. Music develops an entire other river of life and people.
Enough math to cover the 4 functions and a working understanding of words like "exponentially" and "geometric". If the child grasps math readily, you'll know.

Kids need guidance..a "work load" full of it. If ANY kid reaches 18 and says, "I don't get metric altogether", [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the electronics devices down, then begin having conversations with other people face to face. My great uncle told me to have friends that are a lot older than me, because I would learn about life from them. He was a wise man and he was right.

Then find a job at a restaurant waiting tables or taking orders at the cash register. My HS daughter does this and comes home on a regular basis, telling me what a tough job it is and how rude and condescending people can be. I tell her that's such great life experience, that I have no idea how she could match what she's learning there. There are days she'd like to quit, so she doesn't have to deal with jerks, but I encourage her to stick with it because it's such valuable life experience.

How young?

I'd suggest teaching them to use their hands: Build things out of wood, build a house with popsicle sticks & glue, build things out of PVC pipe and fittings (like big tinker-toys).

Teach them to cook...that'll save them $$$$$ over their lifetime!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
MANNERS that were taught in the 40s and 50s....if anyone in here remembers...

Those manners are superb! An almost lost social skill.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Kids need guidance..a "work load" full of it.

That is why we have so many problem kids...

BEING the example of a GOOD PARENT is a challenge,

and not many people care enough to do the right things to raise good kids anymore.

Among other things, At a young age, about Lying.

What it is, how it works, types of lie and why people do it.

A young women we know was always told the truth buy her parents and family, she has had a hard time in her teen years, pretty much believing everthing people tell her, truth or not.
Even when confronted with an obvious non truth, she has this bewildered 'Deer in the headlights' look.

I guess she has been unable to develope critical thinking?

Confidence, appropriate voice, listening to others, accepting others, interacting with adults, saving money/value of money, work hard but play hard.

Experience >>>>> Material goods (I enjoy this so much with kids).

Go outside your comfort zone.

Compassion. I try to be role model of a partner you want them to seek.

A great source to see all these skills printed out would be a boy scout hand book. You can pick and choose skills that apply to everyone. The first 3 ranks mostly focus on skills and the latter ranks teach leadership. It really does come full circle to create a well rounded person. It's not all about knots and camping, believe me! One key skill is to be part of some group so you learn how to deal with people and learn social skills. So many kids are in a house so long and nothing is tolerated anymore that kids enter the work force and have 0 people skills.

Originally Posted By: expat
Among other things, At a young age, about Lying.

What it is, how it works, types of lie and why people do it.

A young women we know was always told the truth buy her parents and family, she has had a hard time in her teen years, pretty much believing everthing people tell her, truth or not.
Even when confronted with an obvious non truth, she has this bewildered 'Deer in the headlights' look.

I guess she has been unable to develope critical thinking?

The effect isn't related to the cause.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Besides the basics of finance spending/borrowing.

Teach them that at least 80% of your success, will be your skill dealing with people. All the technical expertise, hands on skill , will be blunted and wasted without the ability to communicate, influence and inspire those around you.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back