Any success with HM oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive used HM oil before but never for a small oil leak. Has anyone had any luck with any brand that has slowed leaks? Thank you all for any info you may have.

I bought my '96 Roadmaster wagon with 90,000 miles on it back in 2006. At the time I tried various oils and found good results with Rotella 10W-30 or 5W-40 and stuck with those for several years. Eventually my rear main seal started leaking and I decided to give Valvoline Max Life Blend a try. It definitely slowed the leak down, sometimes it would even stop. After a couple of years I switched to the full synthetic Max Life and the leak went away for good (so far). The car now has 223,000 miles on it and is not leaking on the garage floor at all and I haven't fixed an oil leak by changing parts for several years. At the worst, my leak was just a drip that left a dark spot on the garage floor, not a puddle.

My Rav4 uses less HM oil than regular oil. If HM oil reduces oil leak by 10% is that a success? I mean, I think HM helps but don't expect miracles.

Maxlife didn't help my XJ but Pennzoil HM sure did.

I would try Pennzoil HM. Give it an OCI or two. Nothing works overnight. If you don't see results after awhile, switch brands again.

One of my previous vehicles started leaking oil. SuperTech 5w30 HM fixed the leakage in the first OCI. Later on that car had a steady diet of Mobil Super HM 5w30. No leaks until I sold it 50k miles later.

LOL! Good point Mart
smile.gif

High mile oils will slow a leak but won’t fix the root of the leak

I appreciate the stories. Dont know why people have such a problem because i want to learn. Im sorry to whom I offend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrjlube
I appreciate the stories. Dont know why people have such a problem because i want to learn. Im sorry to whom I offend.😊

No worries here. A HM oil may condition seals and other parts; but it won’t completely stop a leak as far as I could tell. Maxlife is a very good oil as is M1 HM in my eyes

I think HM oils serve a purpose to some degree. If you have used Synthetics in your car since new? You should never need HM oils. Why?

I use HM oil In my 2000 Dodge Caravan 3.3 with 155k miles on it. It doesn't burn any oil, but the valve cover gaskets tend to seep. With the HM oil it seeps less.

Also, I use M1 5w30 HM in this van. I like how it does have a higher HTHS than standard grade 5w30 and a decent TBN. I run this oil every 5k miles in the van. I have to add no oil in between. Costs me only $20 for a 5 qt jug at wallyworld too. Cant beat that
thumbsup2.gif

Not too shabby.

Jeff

Last edited:
I've had VML cut consumption (part leak, part use) in a '98 Buick and '10 Caravan by 30-40%. Hard to say on everything else because I only see them every 4-10K when the owner decides to come back, but I have had several people note their cars run better after coming to me (hence spending a few thousand miles or more on VML).

Maxlife SB and M1 HM 10W-30 have both worked in reducing seal leaks for me.
Not so sure about gasket leaks, but gaskets are usually easy to change while things like RM seals are not.
Both also appear to be effective in reducing consumption.
You have an oil leak?
Give an HM oil a try.

Another user on here that I'm friends with outside of BITOG (RCY) used Valvoline Max Life in his Honda Pilot to fix a Rear Main Seal leak. It's been leak free for multiple hundreds of thousands of kilometers and it was leaking pretty good. Would have been a costly fix otherwise.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 HM 5w30 has reduced oil consumption in my 3.8 Jeep significantly over every other oil I've tried, with the exception of Mobil 1 HM 10w30, with which it consumes the same amount as the 5w.

Ok,wow i really appreciate all of you! Seems like maxlife or mobil 1 hm is the choices. One thing is I know the car has lived on green bottle Quaker State,never saw any synthetic. Would the mobil 1 hm still be ok you think? Or you think I should avoid synthetic? Thank you all so much,I learn so much from you👍😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back