‘17 accord ex sedan winter tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at the WS80, Altima’s arttic12, or x- ice3. I was going to size -1 to a 16” rim. I looking for good wet, dry, snow handling. The roads are maintained here in the winter so when it does snow crews are out right away and the roads will get wet or at most that sticky kinda packed snow cover on the roads until they are cleared again. We do mostly highway travel with this car.

If you want a tire that acts like a normal tire only really good in the winter.. that is the michelin xice xi3.

The general arctic 12 is brand new so not much data on it.

The ws80 is better for the most severe winter conditions but worse handling, wear, MPG, noise.

you might also consider the continential wintercontact si.. its a top tier winter tire.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Discount Tire now regularly stocks Nokians from their Russian factory for very reasonable prices.

I would only do that if you go to a local DT.

It took me 6 nokian tires to get 4 that would balance.(from the russian factory).

That can be a drag with online tires/shipping.

YMMV, but I've had good luck with the 3 sets of Russian-factory Nokians that I've had (a set of Hakka Rs on my wife's Highlander) and currently have (Nordman 5s and 7s on son's Camry and wife's Highlander).

That being said, tires are a purchase that's probably best done locally, to minimize the possible directions for finger-pointing if something doesn't work well, or goes wrong. I've bought from Tire Rack several times, but their South Bend HQ is "local enough" that I go there for mounting and balancing, as well as the tire purchase.

I have about a week and half on a fresh set of AltiMAX Arctic 12s, used mostly in dry conditions with a day or two of fairly heavy rain. So far, in the 25-45 degree weather, I've been very happy with the performance. They're quiet and so far, handle surprisingly well in the somewhat warm temps, not squirrely at all, although, that may just mean that the OEM all seasons aren't great.

If you haven't already, you might want to price out the different options. When I was shopping (about a month ago), the Arctic 12s were a good $100-$200 less than the Bridgestone or Michelin options in my size, which sealed the deal for me.

Originally Posted By: khittner
That being said, tires are a purchase that's probably best done locally, to minimize the possible directions for finger-pointing if something doesn't work well, or goes wrong. I've bought from Tire Rack several times, but their South Bend HQ is "local enough" that I go there for mounting and balancing, as well as the tire purchase.

About how much do they charge for mounting and balancing? When I plug in my zip it says that I'm local enough as well. I thought they would only mount tires on new wheels that I bought there.

I also have a '17 Accord EX sedan, the V6, 6 MT version. My OEM wheels are also 17".

I had a set of 16" wheels for winter use with Dunlop 205/60R16 Winter Sport 3D tires. At the time I was living in Alberta and those tires were really good on dry pavement which was usual for most of the winter, and quite good on snow and ice. I have a similar set of tires for my BMW and like them a lot.

So yes, 16" wheels are good for your application. And Dunlop winter tires are also good.

But the painted alloy wheels (Sport brand) failed. The paint came off in many areas and the wheels corroded leading to many rim leaks. I priced having the wheels bead blasted and repainted but it was cost prohibitive. The tires were getting old in years (though not all that worn) and when we moved I recycled the wheels and tires. We now live on the warm coast and I don't bother with snow tires here.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I also have a '17 Accord EX sedan, the V6, 6 MT version. My OEM wheels are also 17".

How did you get that combination? Is it only available in Canada? Less than a year ago I was shopping for that exact car and could rarely find the EX with the 6MT and 2.4l four. The V6 was only available with the 6MT as a coupe.

It also seems they had 19" wheels and maybe the lowest trim (LX?) was the only one with 16" wheels but I could be mis-remembering.

Originally Posted By: TMoto

How did you get that combination? Is it only available in Canada? Less than a year ago I was shopping for that exact car and could rarely find the EX with the 6MT and 2.4l four. The V6 was only available with the 6MT as a coupe.

It also seems they had 19" wheels and maybe the lowest trim (LX?) was the only one with 16" wheels but I could be mis-remembering.

I think he meant an 07 since that's what his signature says. Plus so such thing as that configuration with that car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I think he meant an 07 since that's what his signature says. Plus so such thing as that configuration with that car.
smile.gif

Ha! Good catch, I wasn't paying attention, thanks.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I think he meant an 07 since that's what his signature says.

Yes that's correct. Mine is an '07. A little slip of the mind! The comments likely still apply though.

I had thought the V6 6MT sedan was only available for only one year, but as has been pointed out it was actually available for two years: '06 and '07. But they're not that common.

It's a very good car. The bugs had been worked out and with a V6 6MT it even feels a little faster than my I6 5MT BMW. If anyone wants a V6, 6MT Accord sedan look for a good used '06 or '07. Mine has just under 100,000 miles on it and it's as good as new. There are a few out there. I think mine is good for at least another 10 years and 200,000 more miles.

My '07 has 17" OEM wheels. Plenty big enough in my opinion.

I had 16" winter wheels (when I had winter wheels). Smaller wheels are fine for winter. No matter how careful you are there are ruts and lumps and curbs "that jump out of the snow-bank at you" and there's less chance of denting a smaller wheel.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If you want a tire that acts like a normal tire only really good in the winter.. that is the michelin xice xi3.

The ws80 is better for the most severe winter conditions but worse handling, wear, MPG, noise.

you might also consider the continential wintercontact si.. its a top tier winter tire.

The Altimax Arctic 12 is not a brand new tire. It's a recycled Gislaved NordFrost 100 tire (just like the original Altimax Arctic was a old Gislaved tire). You can google reviews for that tire.

Will you be using the Tire Rack-recommended size 205/60-16?

The Altimax 12 is a studdable tire, designed to use the studs, old technology, probably not as good as a modern studless winter tire.

My choice for a studless winter tire would be the Dunlop Winter Maxx or Nokian R2.

If you want a performance winter, get the Hankook iCept evo2 W320

Originally Posted By: Rand

I have the Xi3's on my Cruze, this is my 4th season with them. I agree they are slightly closer to feeling like an all season on dry roads compared to a Blizzak, but I have not been happy with their performance in slush. When there is packed snow that has salt on or under it and it starts to melt and is all mushy, but not yet plowed (or needs to be plowed again), the Xi3's just ride on top and slide around. Can hardly go, steer or brake. I do appreciate how they behave the rest of the time, but I hate the slush performance enough that I will not buy them again.

I had some Goodyear performance winters that I really loved on my Grand Prix a few years back. I will consider a performance winter again. They handle very nice in the wet and dry, do great in the snow, and not bad on ice. I felt it was a better compromise for me.

I would probably go with the 205 60 16. The mushy snow described above is what we deal with. I don’t think I need a performance winter tire but I’m open to the idea. Something that all around handles the elements and dry conditions would be ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back