How to drain 2016 Charger front differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

I have a 2016 Dodge Charger w/AWD. It's at about 25,000 miles and I'm going to drain and fill the differentials. The rear is simple, but I don't see a drain or fill plug in the front differential. Anyone know if there are plugs, or it the front a 'lifetime' fill?

ZF 8 speed right?

If it's anything like the ZF6, there is only a fill hole for the front differential. I used a big syringe, some nylon tubing, and patience.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
ZF 8 speed right?

If it's anything like the ZF6, there is only a fill hole for the front differential. I used a big syringe, some nylon tubing, and patience.

Yes, the ZF-8

I'm guessing one of those cheap $10 Pennzoil/similar hand pumps at WM or Home Depot will be able to pump out the old fluid just fine? Unless something better is recommended? Thanks!

Is there a SERVICE IN THE om FOR THE FRONT DIFF?

Man no drain how do you flush it? May be lifetime.

I see how one would want to pull the break in stuff out then go lifetime.

Some Ford AWD owners drill and tap their PTUs so they can have a drain plug
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm guessing one of those cheap $10 Pennzoil/similar hand pumps at WM or Home Depot will be able to pump out the old fluid just fine? Unless something better is recommended? Thanks!

The hoses are too big. You need a 1/4" tube that's rigid enough to snake into the case.

Like said, you're stuck with trying to suck out what ever amount you can. Some type of Mitivac, Harbor Freight Tools oil extractor or rig something up like I've done in the past by using a 5gal pail with lid and some tubing. Drill two holes in the lid. One to hold a shop vac hose over and one to route some flexible tubing through. You regulate the vacuum force by how you hold the hose over the bigger hole in the bucket lid. It'll suck. Trust me! You can also use the reverse of this method to refill transmissions and diffs. I use bulk polyethylene tubing. I think it's 3/8"?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I found a small pump on Amazon with 1/4" tubing - going to try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back