Options other than Adobe Flashplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
In regards to the latest Windows 10 Fall Creator Edition 1709 using Firefox 57.

As of today, when I disable Adobe Flashplayer inside Add-Ons and attempt to watch a video at a major newspaper or sports website, no advancement with the video occurs.

My friend Google isn't helping me-out either. Are we now an Adobe Flashplayer Captive?

Last edited:
The Flash player update wasn't part of the Fall Creators update aka Windows "11". I thought the update to FP came before and added efficiency upgrades to it that you can't tell from the naked eye? Remember that group, Naked eyes? Is it like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmNLqR-GGJY

There is no computized alternative to Flash player, ask Apple that, other than turning off your device and turning on your television which lacks vision.

Last edited:
Flash is flash; if a video is rendered in flash and you don't have it, it's not gonna play. Simple as that. There aren't any alternatives really.

Ditch Windows 10 and ditch Flash. Both of those things are a drag on your existence.
02.gif

You can remove flash from your machine and use Chrome with click-to-play enabled. This keeps flash contained to chrome.

Flash is gradually being replaced anywhere and everywhere; but there are content providers who are NOT transcoding their old Flash garbage. I really could not tell you of anyone who is at present using Flash for either UI or video delivery - it is all legacy content that is at issue, here.

I have Flash installed but it is click-to-play. That way it is immediately apparent to me where Flash is present, which in turn affords me the opportunity to search for that media elsewhere and/ or notify the content provider that I am doing so and why.

The situation still stands that if you want the web to work all the time you're likely going to need Flash and perhaps even Java. Luckily, we haven't had to install a RealPlayer or Silverlight plugin for the last several years. :^)

Adobe is formally snuffing out Flash in 2020, and it would be wise to remove it sooner rather than later.

If you still need to visit sites that haven't joined the rest of the industry in the 21st century with HTML5, use the embedded version in Chrome. It's sandboxed and auto-updates. But it, too, will go away in 2020.

Any decent site now should serve up HTML5 video if Flash isn't detected.

The sites that rely on Flash for basic navigation were always a bad idea, and the world is better off if they lose users and go away.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Adobe is formally snuffing out Flash in 2020, and it would be wise to remove it sooner rather than later.

If you still need to visit sites that haven't joined the rest of the industry in the 21st century with HTML5, use the embedded version in Chrome. It's sandboxed and auto-updates. But it, too, will go away in 2020.

Any decent site now should serve up HTML5 video if Flash isn't detected.

The sites that rely on Flash for basic navigation were always a bad idea, and the world is better off if they lose users and go away.

Nice post, good job, thanks. Looks like this sailor needs to learn HTML5. *sneaky grin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back