Honda CRV 100k too frequent synthetic change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Purchasing a used 2008 crv EX 110k. Have no idea oil they used. I Read in this forum about switching to synthetic and some have stated about miles between changes etc and have hinted changing it too frequently can be bad. I am a 5month or 5k on synthetic and usually hit 5months first. Is this bad in general and bad for this crv? How should I switch over? Thanks

Last edited:
I'd go 7-10k miles or 12 months instead if you're using a full synthetic. After seeing many UOA's here, it seems that time running is as important as miles. If you're doing only city then it may be beneficial to change every 6k miles or 6-12months. But highway miles are easy on oil.

Frequent oil changes are good for the vehicle. You will never kill an engine with frequent oil changes. You will however kill it with stretching the Oil Change Interval beyond its capabilities.

Based on this I would change the oil and filter every 12 months or 7500 miles, whichever comes first.

BUT since you have no previous maintenance history - I would do two 3500 mile oil changes first to flush out whatever is in there. From there - if the oil comes out relatively clean, then switch to 7.5K mile OCI. If the oil comes out pitch black after 3500 miles - then do a few more short oil changes until the oil is relatively clean coming out of the oil pan. Either way change the oil every 12 months at most.
And do not forget about Transmission fluid, and transfer case & differential fluid (if AWD), and other essential fluids (coolant, powersteering, etc.)
Good luck with the new-to-you vehicle!

Best regards,
Vlad

Appreciate the input and never thought of the short change and evaluate method. First time buying a used with this many miles, but with a maintained honda, a 108K is just stretching its legs on these 4 bangers.
I was always a 3 or 3 on dino, 4 or 4 on blend, 5 or 5 on synthetic. That'll be a very difficult habit to break as I am a drive until the doors fall off guy and that has pretty much happened.

I will be changing tranny, PS, Brake, filters, and all the others this weekend too. Start my maintenance guide from scratch.

I use mobil1 5w20 in 07 odyssey and I think this CRV takes the same, so it would be nice to get them on the same bloodline. Will definitely keep an eye on the oil level as I heard some discrepancy on what the "real" level is on this thing during a change and I am not sure what its appetite is yet.

Thank you. Gene

I have a simple answer. Change with quality synthetic every 5000 miles.

At 105,000 do an oil change, at 110,000 do an oil change at 115,000 etc. Don't worry about the calendar time. It's a frequent enough schedule to help remove dino oil deposits, before the oil becomes too contaminated.

I have the exact same car and change full synthetic every 5,000 miles. I have no evidence to back up if that's a good interval or not, but it works for me. It certainly won't hurt the car whatsoever. I also usually run a Fram Ultra for 2 intervals, or 10,000 miles. I'm sure that K24 would do perfectly fine on dino at 5,000 mile intervals as well.

If it were me, I'd do the 3x drain and fill of the trans and then 30,000 miles intervals. Change the rear diff fluid with Honda Dual Pump II. There is no transfer case.

IMO, I would just stick to whatever interval you're comfortable with. If you want cost savings, you can follow fenixguy's filter interval. A Fram Ultra will easily handle two 5k mile OCIs.

I partially agree with Vlad in that the two short intervals to flush out whatever is in there is not a bad idea, seeing you do not have any history on its maintenance.

After that, use a quality synthetic and follow the oil life monitor. As you mentioned, at 108k, the engine is just "stretching its legs".

Unless you do not plan on putting many miles on your CRV, there isn't a compelling reason to disregard the OLM.

I have a Japanese 4-cyl engine. I change it depending on my use. If during an OcI I did mainly city but I'm going to do 5k in less than 3 months, I change it at Around 4k-5k. If I did mainly highway, Like now I just did 3k in less than 2 weeks, I change it at 7k because I mainly do it at @90mph/4.5k RPMs. I recommend 0w-40 oil on these small japanese engines

You are likely putting in a premium mineral oil not a synthetic if you bought the stuff Stateside. In The U.S. Fully synthetic oil is an Advertising term not a technical term and it means (near) synthetic oil-like performance.

That said I would use a premium oil like QSUD or Shell Synthetic.

That engine doesn't likely need a real synthetic.

Is the OP's engine known to sludge up?

Good quality conventional oils are great oils but the suggestion to use 0W-40 (Mobil1 ? ) might be a good one.

It's a real PAO synthetic and might be better come the Summer heat. People here say it cleans well.

I'd love access to a fiber optic scope and look well under the valve cover.

OP: When you decide to do the plugs do a compression check.

I agree as well that swapping additive packages too frequently can be to the detriment but not a downfall to an engine, so much so that i refuse to use anything but stock or relatively same formula oil for new cars with less than 20k but definitely less than 10k! Having said that, I would love A gray 2015 Crv with Safety Sensing suite for this sailor. To match my 17 Civic with same said color, ofcourse!

Last edited:
Doesn't your CRV have the maintenance minder? It tells you when to change the oil based on your driving conditions
smile.gif

The K24 engine is a long runner. My wife's 06 TSX has maybe 180K miles. I never check the oil level...
Vlad's advice was spot on.

I am using Mobil1 High Mileage 5W20 with a Wix or M1 filter.
Service all the fluids. Use Honda power steering fluid.
In Sue's car, I replaced the water pump, tensioner and belt at 120K.
I did the alternator at 170K.
Do a transmission spill and fill regularly.

Enjoy your new car!.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
The K24 engine is a long runner. My wife's 06 TSX has maybe 180K miles. I never check the oil level...
Vlad's advice was spot on.

I am using Mobil1 High Mileage 5W20 with a Wix or M1 filter.
Service all the fluids. Use Honda power steering fluid.
In Sue's car, I replaced the water pump, tensioner and belt at 120K.
I did the alternator at 170K.
Do a transmission spill and fill regularly.

Enjoy your new car!.

I see, so in Los Gatos, they use the verbage spill land fill versus drain and fill. high mileage=old car ROFL. My bet is Fram Ultra at Wally World.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Originally Posted By: mi3grls
Purchasing a used 2008 crv EX 110k.

It's also time to check valve clearance, IMHO.
Yesss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back