Second oil change UOA 2018 STI Castrol edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danno
UOA has no surprises. What will your OCI be once you are past engine break in?

I was thinking 4k or the 3800 that blackstone recommended.

First UOA was factory fill of course. This one is Edge black bottle 5w30. My next UOA will be with Edge 5w30 gold bottle 2.5 qts and 2 qts of edge 0w40. I was surprised the black bottle edge did not shear down to a 20 weight like some people said it would.

Last edited:
I'd be worried about that copper and aluminum. And I disagree with Blackstone; I think 9.06 is too thin for a 5W-30.

Its a new motor and the copper is going down so im not worried. Aluminum is only 9 ppm why would I worry about that?

Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
First UOA was factory fill of course. This one is Edge black bottle 5w30. My next UOA will be with Edge 5w30 gold bottle 2.5 qts and 2 qts of edge 0w40. I was surprised the black bottle edge did not shear down to a 20 weight like some people said it would.

It did shear to a 20 weight. Blackstone's "Should be" values for viscosity aren't always in the actual SAE J300 range for a given viscosity. Not sure why, but it causes a lot of confusion. Anything below 9.3 is a 20 grade. And you also boosted the viscosity a bit by adding make-up oil.
55.gif

Even though you're still breaking it in, it's kind of odd that there was an uptick in aluminum so just keep an eye on it. And be careful following Blackstone's (or anyone's) advice on OCI's. They will not offer Powertrain Warranty coverage in the event of a failure.

Last edited:
Thanks. My first uoa was only 1300 miles so thats why the aluminum was less on the first uoa. I plan to use 0w40 from now on as well. The viscosity was still better then the factory fill at only 1300 miles as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
The viscosity was still better then the factory fill at only 1300 miles as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the factory fill was designed to shear like that from the moment that the car is started for CAFE purposes. I don't recall ever seeing a "5W30" factory fill come back as a 30 grade, even when the n/a Forester and Outback specced 5W30.

Sheared out of grade in just 3k miles..... silicon is high. I dont think silicon numbers are affected by engine break-in, check your air filter. Are you using a cellulose disposable or oiled cotton gauze?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Sheared out of grade in just 3k miles..... silicon is high. I dont think silicon numbers are affected by engine break-in, check your air filter. Are you using a cellulose disposable or oiled cotton gauze?

You'd be better off with a 0w40 with the engine being that hard on a 30 grade, especially since its turbo-charged.

Silicone is high because it is a new engine and should lower over time like it has been I am told. This comes from the sealants used in engine assembly. It was 109 on the first UOA and now only 33. I suspect the next UOA to be even lower.

Last edited:
Sealants are silicone, not silicon. "Silicones, also known as polysiloxanes, are polymers that include any inert, synthetic compound made up of repeating units of siloxane, which is a chain of alternating silicon atoms and oxygen atoms, frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. "

You'd be better off with a 0w40 with the engine being that hard on a 30 grade, especially since its turbo-charged. I wouldn't bother with half 5w30 half 0w40, go with mobil 0w40. It has a viscosity of 12.9 CST @ 100c, which is just above the max viscosity of a 30 grade (12.5 cst). Should shear down to a mid-30 grade with how hard that engine churns the oil.

Last edited:
Sealants are silicone, not silicon. "Silicones, also known as polysiloxanes, are polymers that include any inert, synthetic compound made up of repeating units of siloxane, which is a chain of alternating silicon atoms and oxygen atoms, frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. "

They both look the same to an ICP.

Did you copy that from somewhere on the Internet?

Yes I did, thus the quotation marks. I looked at some other factory fill analysis, saw that they ranged from 60-80 ppm usually. So I guess thats normal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

They both look the same to an ICP.

Did you copy that from somewhere on the Internet?

Did I copy that from the internet lol. I seen that on bitog before actually. Where did you get your information on UOA's if not from the internet? I post my UOA's to learn but a lot of people pick apart some things that are minor. Most also seem to think they know more than blackstone. I am pretty new to reading UOA's so I am open to learn what I can. Blackstone even list on their website that the silcon also comes from sealants and gaskets.

Last edited:

You'd be better off with a 0w40 with the engine being that hard on a 30 grade, especially since its turbo-charged. I wouldn't bother with half 5w30 half 0w40, go with mobil 0w40. It has a viscosity of 12.9 CST @ 100c, which is just above the max viscosity of a 30 grade (12.5 cst). Should shear down to a mid-30 grade with how hard that engine churns the oil.

Thanks for the info John. My car is totally stock and plan to keep it that way for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back