ATF-HP, can not fnd local

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2006 Subaru Outback XT with the 5EAT 5 speed auto. The book says to use ATF-HP or ATF "J" but I have searched at all the auto parts stores and they do not carry it. Any ideas on another fluid.

Use Valvoline maxlife ATF or any other fluid that meets Nissan Matic-J spec.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
GM ATF-HP

ATF-HP was subaru OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: Davej98092
I have a new to me 2006 Subaru Outback XT with the 5EAT 5 speed auto. The book says to use ATF-HP or ATF "J" but I have searched at all the auto parts stores and they do not carry it. Any ideas on another fluid.

Right its an OEM fluid so they wont carry it at auto parts stores. Your dealer should have it.

If you can find it, Idemitsu makes an ATF type hp for the aftermarket. It is about $6/qt.

ATF-HP is a dealer-only fluid. However, Subaru does list another fluid you can't get here - Pennzoil ATF-J or Castrol Transmax-J.

I've had luck using MaxLife in an earlier 4EAT, and I think it will do just fine in a 5EAT.

Maxlife, or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF
smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I am on the fence of going with the normal Max Life or the Import multi vehicle. With 147-Grain having used it in his 2013 Outback I think I should be safe in the 2006 Stupidroo.

I was on here many years ago as Dave_J. Learned a lot, bought a lot of good oils. But I never got into doing the triple flush thing. My wifes 1998 Buick's 3.1 made it to 350,000 miles using Chevron Supreme 5W30 winter or Delo 400 15W40 Summer and a OCI of 7,000 miles + Napa Gold Filter on average. For two years my dash ODO and PRND321 LED's were out and when repaired I had 325K on it. I once tried to wait out the IDIOT Light Oil Change light that the factory has but chickened out at 10,000 and dumped the oil and filter.

Dave, like said, the Subaru 5EAT isn't overly picky. Something easy like Valvoline Maxlife ATF would be my choice, but I'm sure there's other readily available, suitable multiple application ATFs around also.

I'm curious too about replacements for the Subaru ATF-HP. I got a case of it when I got my current Subaru, as I had been told on another forum that Subaru changed the friction materials in their autos around 2007. I wish that OEM's had to put realistic spec's for their specialty fluids out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back