Balance Beads for my new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed already, but does anyone use balancing beads in their tires? The reason I asked is I just bought 2 new tires for my car and instead of putting weights on them I asked for plastic beads instead. I did some reading on them and thought it was a great idea, as in the future I will be mounting my own tires and this seems to be a great way to balance them. So far the tires run true, balanced and can't tell the difference from wheel weights. Decided to share this with you guys and ask what your thoughts are on the topic?

I thought they only work for larger tires as on a semi or maybe a pick up or SUV with a large diameter wheel assembly?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I thought they only work for larger tires as on a semi or maybe a pick up or SUV with a large diameter wheel assembly?

They are sold and used for motorcycle tires so I don't think there are any limits.

However, it seems like the right amount of beads should be used for a given application.

I tried them on my Suzuki bike a while back but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I didn't use enough? They were an absolute pain to try to remove. Went back to clip on lead weights.

I have beads in my Toyota pickup tires. They don't vibrate horribly but they just aren't quite right and don't compare with conventionally balanced tires. It could be that I don't have the right amount but I carefully followed the directions.

They aren't bad enough that I want to remove the beads but I don't think I'll use beads again.

I tried using them in my 4Runner with a previous set of wheels which had a tiny lip and loved to throw wheel weights. I wasn't ever pleased with their performance. I used Dynabeads and messed around with them for about 15,000 miles before I finally gave up on them, had to break the tires down to remove them and eventually go back to standard weights. Hopefully you have better luck but I won't bother again in the future.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've never personally used them, but have seen read of decent results on motorcycles. Another option is Ride-On (I also have never used it), which has a bonus benefit of sealing small punctures as well.

http://www.ride-on.com/

I've seen a description of a homebrewed version using latex and "twinkle" flakes. Only described as a sealant, but I'd guess it might balance as well.

Saw a split sac of plastic beads on the campus dump, (I think probably for injection moulding) but couldn't think what I could use them for. Might go and scoop some up.

There's also a local park where they do airsoft shoot outs so there are a lot of beads lying around, but I THINK they are ceramic, which might not be suitable.

I've used them in wheels 16 inch and up (to 22.5" semi wheels) and they work..but work better in larger tires. I use the Counterract brand and they have a different bead for motorcycle wheels..may try them in the next set of 16"'s I do..because I'm not sold on them in that small a wheel.

I have steel bb's in my rear tires on my truck. They seem to balance ok, but make a heck of a racket when you go slow.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does anyone have any experience with Ride-on? It kind of sounds too good to be true.

Why so?

If beads distribute under centrifugal force, a liquid should also.

Just has so be something that won't set, doesn't evaporate, and doesn't attack rubber.

Hmm... that is actually a bit tricky. I THINK latex would set eventually. Molasses would attract ants.

That silicon putty stuff might work but it goes hard under shock loads. Perhaps you could use that behaviour to let you down gently after a blowout?

Rats! Another patent idea gone forever.

Last edited:
I used them on my 33" BFGoodrich km2. They work great, and now if I have a little mud in the wheel it doesn't really throw the balance off for the 6 hour drive home from a camping trip.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
From what I can find even makers of balancing beads say to not use them in smaller tires.

https://checkeredflagtirebalancebeads.com/questions-and-answers/
1. Will beads work with all tires?

Not with Sidewall ratios of 65 or less…..This type of tire often have a left to right dynamic balance issues only correctable by spin balancing.

Ah, so they only do static balance. Would not recommend at all then.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did a hundred mile trip today and would not have known the beads were in the tires. The two tires I put them in are on the fronts and worked great, no noise or vibration at all. Tires are BFGoodrich All Terrain K02 165/65R16, shop used 5 ounces per tire.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
From what I can find even makers of balancing beads say to not use them in smaller tires.

https://checkeredflagtirebalancebeads.com/questions-and-answers/
1. Will beads work with all tires?

Not with Sidewall ratios of 65 or less…..This type of tire often have a left to right dynamic balance issues only correctable by spin balancing.

Ah, so they only do static balance. Would not recommend at all then.

Uh?

What do you mean by static balance here? I'd interpret that as balncing a non rotating wheel, say by hanging it from the hub centre and putting weights on it, or putting it on a low friction axle. That self-evidently is not what is happening with loose beads inside a tyre.

As described the tyre is unbalanced when static and only becomes balanced when rotation redistributes the beads.

Pretty much the opposite of static balancing, IOW

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Uh?

What do you mean by static balance here? I'd interpret that as balncing a non rotating wheel, say by hanging it from the hub centre and putting weights on it, or putting it on a low friction axle. That self-evidently is not what is happening with loose beads inside a tyre.

As described the tyre is unbalanced when static and only becomes balanced when rotation redistributes the beads.

I think you're getting confused by the terminology.

Static balance - aka bubble balancing - can be done without spinning the tire. The result is placing weights evenly distributed side to side.

Dynamic balancing requires spinning the tire and the result is usually placing different amount of weights side to side and in different locations circumferentially.

So, yes, the balance beads (or liquid) only work when the tire is rolling - and I can see why they might have difficulty dealing with a situation where the required balancing weight is off center (aka as dynamic balancing) - and full disclosure: I am not a fan of balancing beads and compounds - but I am wondering what speed is required to overcome gravity enough to be effective.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Uh?

I think you're getting confused by the terminology.

Static balance - aka bubble balancing - can be done without spinning the tire. The result is placing weights evenly distributed side to side.

Dynamic balancing requires spinning the tire and the result is usually placing different amount of weights side to side and in different locations circumferentially.

So, yes, the balance beads (or liquid) only work when the tire is rolling - and I can see why they might have difficulty dealing with a situation where the required balancing weight is off center (aka as dynamic balancing) - and full disclosure: I am not a fan of balancing beads and compounds - but I am wondering what speed is required to overcome gravity enough to be effective.

That's what I said. It is not what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back