Uploading CD music to Google Play Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to upload some more music from CDs to Google Play Music. I did some a year or two ago. Maybe something changed or I cannot remember.

I click on "Upload Music" and specify each of the tracks on the selection window. I see a button that says "processing music". But no flickering light on CD drive.

I just do not see it doing anything.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different browser? Internet Explorer/Edge or Chrome/Firefox etc. I would try Chrome if you aren't already because it's all Google.

Is the music you are referencing a music cd or data CD with audio files?

Google play you can only upload computer formats(eg mp3) of an Audio CD. A program that rip tracks from an Audio CD track to mp3 file per song. Once this step is accomplished you can upload away to google music.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is the music you are referencing a music cd or data CD with audio files?

Google play you can only upload computer formats(eg mp3) of an Audio CD. A program that rip tracks from an Audio CD track to mp3 file per song. Once this step is accomplished you can upload away to google music.

Normal audio CDs.

Ripping to MP3 seems like something I might have done a year or two ago but had since forgotten. Any suggestions for a program to do the ripping??

Further Googling revealed this... 2nd response down is from someone on the Google Help Forum. Looks like you need to convert your Audio CD to MP3 or other suitable format and then upload.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/3tDJCacq_8M;context-place=topicsearchin/play/google$20play$20music

Quote:

Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to the Google Play Help Forum.

If your following the requirements for uploading music (see info below), you should be able to upload your own music. However this may require you changing the music format on the CD to one of the supported file types below. Try doing an internet or Google search on how to do this.

If you’re using Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome to upload music to your library, here are the types of files you can upload.
Note: Each music file can be up to 300 MB. When a file is converted to an MP3, the 300 MB limit applies to the converted MP3 file.

Supported file type Notes about supported file type

MP3 (.mp3)
AAC (.m4a) Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
WMA (.wma) Can be uploaded using the Windows version of Music Manager, not Google Play Music for Chrome
FLAC (.flac) 16 and 24-bit mono or stereo files supported Files are converted to 320 kbps .mp3 files
OGG (.ogg) Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
DRM protected AAC (.m4p) Some .m4p files can’t be uploaded Files are converted to the same bitrate (quality) .mp3 files
ALAC (.m4a) 16-bit files supported Files are converted to 320 kbps .mp3 files
Some music file types, including WAV (.wav), AIFF (.aiff), and RA (.r) can’t be uploaded to your library using Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome.

Alternatively if your having a problem using the Music Manager to upload, try using the Google Play Music for Chrome to upload.

Good luck,
JP

Last edited:
There are a million freeware applications to rip CD to .mp3, including Windows Media Player. Google Play Music stores them at 320kbps so I would absolutely recommend ripping the CD's at that rate to prevent re-encoding by Google. Should Google find reason to stream a less bitrate-heavy version down to you they will be re-encoding it to 18kbps anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back