2008 FLRHC M1 VTWIN 20W-50, 1.7k

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA from a motorcycle, wish I would have sent in some on my 84 Honda Magna V65 oil samples before I sold it.

Details for this UOA: I change oil/filter once a year before winter storage. Bought the bike in spring of 2015 from original owner who only put 6,500 mi on it since new. He only had the oil changed twice in that time and brought it to the HD dealer it was bought at for each one (1k and 5k service), they put HD synth oil in both times, all three holes. When I got it home I changed the motor oil to M1 15w-50 and have used M1 VTWIN both years after that. I've used the HD black Super5 5 micron filter for each oil change. I don't use the bike for short trips, I often drive to work in the summer 75 mi each way, ~65 mph highway, usually 6th gear unless headwind. Once it gets below 40degF I put it away for winter.

Bike is pretty much stock - has stock engine, pipes and air filter. No oil cooler. No oil added here (bike doesn't use oil). During this oil change I did put the updated oil breathers/seperators in the rocker boxes and changed the stock primary tensioner to a hayden auto.

I was surprised that the zinc and phosphorus on this sample was so low compared to the 2016 & 17 M1 spec sheets that shows M1 Vtwin to have 1750 & 1600 ppm respectively. I'm pretty sure my bottle said up to SJ cat too (don't have it anymore), but the specs say it's SL. I bought the oil in fall of 2016 at a popular store so I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the shelf a long time.
Compared to VOA and other UOA on here, the M1 VTWIN add pack numbers seem to fluctuate a bit.

150 mile round trip commute?!

And yeah those zinc/phos numbers look low for M1 VTwin.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
150 mile round trip commute?!

Yes but I work from home 2 to 3 days a week. Takes 1 hour 15 min each way.

I just remembered that I put 3 quarts of M1 TVWIN in, and quarter of a quart of M1 15W-50 when I filled up in fall 2016 because I had it left over so that could explain the lower Z/P.

Also, I put VR1 20w-50 dino in during this oil change.

Thanks for posting the UOA. Im sure your enjoying the bike, great bikes for sure!

Based on your post I think you saw the other UOAs on the Mobile Vtwin.
Those numbers are pretty much what you have as far as the add pack.
Same as this one here, Click

You will then see Duckrider posted one after the above with an add pack that is more in line with the 1700 etc numbers you posted.
I wouldnt think to much about it, looking at 3 additives in an oil isnt going to tell you much about wear and formulas change over time, plus allow another 10% or so margin for any testing errors.

Anyway, good luck with the bike!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back