Do Your or Will You Take Care of Your Kid's Cars..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends.
Daughter: I will help her with repairs as long as it is not due to negligent maintenance.
Son: I will try to teach him to do the work himself, so he can be independent when I am not around.

Old fashioned? Yes.

Since my kid is currently -3 months old right now, I cant say. I do a lot of maintenance for my two brothers in law. Two out of three aint got the mechanical sense God gave a rock so if I can do it I will.

Speaking from personal experience. Many kids now days don't want to get their hands dirty. My daughter and her husband are 23. I taught both of them how to change oil & fluids etc. I changed oil for them for a few years, then decided it was on him. (He recently learned the difference between flat head and phillips screw driver) Donated my tools and oil, but they rather take it to the Stealer. Her husband won't get under the car. Both just graduated from college and are working. I was changing oil at age 11.

Everything is disposable in today's world!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My son maintains his car himself; but he does contact me for advice.

When they have been raised right this is the way it happens!

Son's CEL was on indicating something with the EVAP system. He lives about an hour away with college friends. Went down to see him and turned the code off with my bluetooth device. I had no tools or inclination to work on the car at his house instead of mine. Had him pop the hood just for the heck of it. Looked over by the valves for the EVAP and noticed the wire plug was disconnected. So, it was a 5 second repair.

He takes the car to Firestone for oil changes. I taught him to do an oil change a few times. He's a person that needs a torque wrench. Sent him under the car with a ratchet and socket and told him to get the plug snug but warned him about over tightening it. Well, didn't need to worry over tightening. After he told me the plug was good and snug, I went under to see for myself. I could turn it tighter by hand.

I think he's better off at a shop for routine stuff and I'll worry about actual repairs that might happen.

I sent my son to a great out of state 4 year college,Graduated Auto technology with honors,works now with major auto company in advanced technology, a super job indeed, and NO he doesn't want to get dirty ever, i maintained and changed oil, etc in his personal cars until lately as his company now gives him cars to drive. he is 30. oh well,

I sold both my kids thier trucks. Gave them the maintenance logs. I remind them. My son is really good about oil changes. He comes up and changes his oil and his girlfriends. I don't mind donating the oil and filters since they ones I stock. He bought a case of filters for his girls Jeep Patriot.
My daughter, I change her oil but she helps. She could do it.
Both thier transmission fluid changes are over due. I told them. I have all the tools they are welcome to and the facility but it's thier trucks. They bought them and all I can do is remind them, they break and they pay to have them fixed.
I admit I am anal about maintenance on my vehicles.

Last edited:
my daughter drive a 02 e46. she could not afford to own it unless i fixed it. i just put a set of ebay pads and rotors for $90 . Dealer wanted $500

Taught them how to do their own maintenance, change a tire, put on tire chains.

They each got full size spares for Christmas one year and later came to appreciate such a strange gift.

I tell them to bring them by for oil changes, brakes and other simple stuff.
Not a big deal.
For whatever reason, neither son ever developed the interest in playing mechanic that I did.
I have saved a ton of money over the years, but that was in exchange for a ton of time.
I also indulged my natural curiosity about how things worked and went together.
Today, I have more money than time, but old habits die hard.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I tell them to bring them by for oil changes, brakes and other simple stuff.
Not a big deal.
For whatever reason, neither son ever developed the interest in playing mechanic that I did.
I have saved a ton of money over the years, but that was in exchange for a ton of time.
I also indulged my natural curiosity about how things worked and went together.
Today, I have more money than time, but old habits die hard.
I helped both my son and daughter by doing oil changes and stuff. I did a drive way valve job on DIL's '99 CRV. I could change O/F on daughter's Corolla in less than 20 minutes. No big deal. I sent son off to college with a very ugly '86 528e, that got even uglier when it was rear-ended. I repaired it structurally, but I don't do body work beyond making it work. Car ran like a watch. I replaced parts with used parts from cars I bought along with with 2 '86 daily drivers. I fixed the CRV when his future wife was putting him through law school and I was laid off. Now I have 2 grandsons and a lawyer
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Nope.

The only persons car I take car of is my wifes and mine.

Kids?

I showed them how to do it once, and Ill do it with them if they want company / hand wrenches walk through it again/ and want to take the time together (happens occasionally) -but I will not do it "for" them.

UD

Last edited:
My stepdaughter takes very good care of her car. Gets regular oil changes and regular maintenance.
When there's a CEL or something that may be very expensive, she usually brings it to me. Her husband was given zero training from his dad. They pay for things that I would normally do myself. We're working on teaching my son in law some basic mechanic and carpentry skills.
My stepson thinks he knows everything but doesn't want to be taught. He once got under my wife's car to drain the oil and drained the transmission. That was all sorts of fun at 9 pm when all the parts stores had just closed.
Last mother's day, I told him three weeks earlier that he needed to put a new battery in his Jeep. As usual, he replied that I don't know everything and he refused. Low and behold, Mother's Day, we have reservations for brunch and he calls and says his car won't start. He's cheap as the day is long and was glad that he got three weeks out of the battery before he had to buy the new one.
My little guy, (thirteen) pays attention to everything. He likes to use tools and he likes Diesel Brothers. I have high hopes for him.

I did, then he moved 3000 miles away, so now I do what I can with limited tools when I visit. I enjoy it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back