Tire Ageing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Malibu LTZ with the factory 18" wheels, still have the factory GoodYear LS2's that will be going on 10 yrs, car has only 55K and is mostly parked in the garage and driven once or twice a month, how old is too old for tires, still have plenty of tread and Xcellent wear, has 3 alignment checks since new.
cheers3.gif

At seven years you should start looking for new tires esp with 50k + miles on them. DTD is having a Black Friday sale that is worth checking out.

I scrap tires or casings after 10 yrs no matter what. Usually the sidewalls have weather checked all to heck. I have some winter tires that after 10 still look good and it hurts to scrap them...but I am going to.

If you were parking it outside I'd lay money them being toast in Calif. But the protection a garage gives them from UV is what has saved them.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If you were parking it outside I'd lay money them being toast in Calif. But the protection a garage gives them from UV is what has saved them.

This - I've seen 10 year old tires that were never garaged that were completely checked and unsafe. Tires stored on concrete and out of the elements look fine at the same age, all else being equal.

Are they really fine? Good question, but I'd bet they are not worse. The one thing to consider is that 10 year old rubber is no longer a pliant and does not have the same adhesion as newer tires. You will notice more sliding in the wet and during panic stops. I'm not sure if this will become a liability should be involved in an accident. I have 20+ year old tires on a classic car that is driven under 400 miles a year. In a light rain it can be a handful.

I think that if it were me I would buy new tires.

Time for new tires unless you want a blowout and then it takes the fender and bumper out with it.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I have a 2008 Malibu LTZ with the factory 18" wheels, still have the factory GoodYear LS2's that will be going on 10 yrs, car has only 55K and is mostly parked in the garage and driven once or twice a month..

Still have the original battery too?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
For safe every day driving....4seasons on them is MAX I would go....

That's pretty extreme. California is pretty mild normally. Tire industry typically says 6-10 years. Maybe you could push it out a little more, but the belts could be bad inside and you wouldn't know it by looking at it.

Even if it had the original battery, all it'd do is die on you and then you won't be able to start it. Better than having a tire blow out on you while you're on the road at speed. In theory if you don't panic it should be fine, but lots of people don't know how to handle it, over correct and end up flipping. That's when you get thrown from the car and end up being killed if you're not wearing a seat belt.

Depending on your driving skill level, you may want to consider replacing it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Calculated according to the Game of Thrones calendar, or do you really mean a year, as in real life, here on Planet Earth?

Hmm...I need to find someone here with the same policy, and get a car with the same size wheels.

Last edited:
10 year 'limit' post production is only a 'recommendation' by various tyre associations, it isn't a requirement.
FWIW, current tire technology may permit tire service life longer than '10' years.
I would personally carry on, capping top speed as a safety precaution.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: Malo83
I have a 2008 Malibu LTZ with the factory 18" wheels, still have the factory GoodYear LS2's that will be going on 10 yrs, car has only 55K and is mostly parked in the garage and driven once or twice a month..

Still have the original battery too?

No! that was changed out a few years ago.

Depending on where you are in California, age could be a big issue. It's in the top 5 states with tire problems - and that is all driven by heat.

The rule of thumb I use is that if you live in a hot climate (AZ, TX, CA, NV, and FL), 6 years is the age limit. If you live in cold climate (MN, MI, ND, ID, and WI), the limit is 10 years. States in between are ah ...... in between.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Calculated according to the Game of Thrones calendar, or do you really mean a year, as in real life, here on Planet Earth?

Hmm...I need to find someone here with the same policy, and get a car with the same size wheels.

I said for a "SAFE EVERYDAY DRIVING"....anyway after 5-6th season rubber compound hardens enough that is not wearing out anymore...after 6th season tyres (their tread) last" forever"
smile.gif

Your Malibu's tire size is 225/50-18, right?
smile.gif

You probably don't need all-season tires in California, so get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. If they are too expensive, consider these:
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

--------
Yes, this is the thread I originally intended to recommend these tires for.

I had accidentally posted this on the wrong thread before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back