Red Line 15W50, 6k mi OCI, 75k mi, Cadillac CTS-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
All mileage is in kilometres. OLM was at 21%.

Notes from oil slip: RL 15W50 for summer due to track (ab)use, top-up oil: 1qt of RL 15W50. Will switch to 5W30 for winter. 18hrs of track use on oil.

Previous fill was also RL 15W50.

fFnuUxo.png

Check my history. I got same iron wear numbers in 11/7/2016 and I was running RL 5W30 then. As for the aluminum that's new. I'll see how it develops. Then, what do you recommend doing about the elevated oil temperatures I am seeing on the track? It goes up to 265F. 5W30 would be too thin for that.

I would fit an oil cooler on a thermostat. Maybe same for the transmission if you race it, Does this engine have short piston skirts?

It's not likely to be brand related. I suspect too much "oil friction" in the bearings leading to the elevated temps. I'd drop back to a 0W-40 and see what the numbers do ... RL would be good as you'll still track the car I'm betting
laugh.gif

The aluminum is almost certainly piston skirt material. I suspect that the timing could loose 1 or 2 degrees and save you some piston skirt wear
smile.gif

You said 2013 correct ?

Factory says:
2013 CADILLAC CTS 6.2L 8 -cyl Engine [P] LSA
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30
Below -20 F .0W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 6 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...18 ft/lbs
NOTES: (1) This specification has been updated from Dexos 1 (Dexos:2010) to Dexos1 Gen 2 (Dexos:2015)

^Amsoil

Try some 5W-30 Castrol Magnatec!

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Aluminum block, aluminum heads & aluminum in the used oil. Prove that the aluminum in the oil is a wear metal.

It's the other wear metals being elevated that point to the aluminum as being a wear metal. If the copper and iron were both near zero, then you could say the aluminum is from the engine getting dissolved by the oil.

The other wear metals do not look elevated. Check my posting history. If you go back far enough you'll see I was using a different oil in early 2016. The only one of concern is the aluminum. Even the iron last time is not out of the question due to the track use and it's reached that level before.

Have you done a test with 5w-30 ? I think 5W-30 would be good to establish a base line for comparing the test results of other viscosities to.

I didn't want to use 5W30 this summer since 265F oil temperature at the track makes the 50W oil have the viscosity of a 30W and the 30W to have the viscosity of a 20W. I want to maintain the right viscosity at my operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Try some 5W-30 Castrol Magnatec!

Merk, he's tracking. Finding Magnatec up here might be a bit of a bother, too, outside of a NAPA and possibly strange quantities.

A thinner oil such as 5W30 may increase wear at the critical top ring turnaround location, undetectable by a UOA.
The iron in the UOA is likely coming from down the bore and would be of no consequence.
More importantly, the engine didn't blow up, or squeak to a stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back