Year old oil in new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, manufacturers and oil producers uniformly recommend that oil be changed after one year regardless of mileage. My daughter bought a 2017 Mazda CX-3 in September. The car was built in June of 2016. It now has 500 miles on it. Would you change the oil?

Oil in the ground is 100 million years old, 1 -2 years in a car sitting on a lot is not a problem.

Oil companies like to scare us into buying more and throwing away good oil!

I have a 'garage queen' with 9 year old used oil, 5,000 miles on the oil, turns out
the UOA showed the oil as still good! Go figure!

However if a car is left outside for 9 years, I'd check for water, etc, in the oil
before I ran it!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That Mazda will have the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil from Japan. I wouldn’t change it.

Great car.

Thanks. The car was built in Hiroshima so you’re probably right about the FF. I already stocked some Mazda Moly oil and Mazda oil filters. That Mazda oil is not easy to get, nor is it cheap. You should see the ownership kit sent directly to her from Mazda. With a personalized letter from the CEO of the company, it looked like Apple packaging. Mazda is a class act.

The oil in my Ram's sump is over 3 years old with a few thousand miles on it. It doesn't get driven much anymore. The "fresh" oil changed into my wife's new VW was sitting in the basement stash for 6 years prior to that. I must be some sort of motor oil contrarian.

Good point about the age of the DIY’ers stash. I put some 0W-30 in my Tahoe a couple weeks ago and noticed it was SM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So, manufacturers and oil producers uniformly recommend that oil be changed after one year regardless of mileage.

I have never followed this, and I see no need to.

Can you provide factual evidence that backs up this thought?

That Mazda will have the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil from Japan. I wouldn’t change it.

Great car.

Thanks. The car was built in Hiroshima so you’re probably right about the FF. I already stocked some Mazda Moly oil and Mazda oil filters. That Mazda oil is not easy to get, nor is it cheap. You should see the ownership kit sent directly to her from Mazda. With a personalized letter from the CEO of the company, it looked like Apple packaging. Mazda is a class act.

Looks like I have something to look forward to in the mail.

I kinda think the idea of changing it in a year regardless of mileage is they think if you have few miles it has had a lot of short trips, probably in all kinds of weather conditions, so it needs changed in no more than a year. if the car was not driven like that it doesn't hold true.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Can you provide factual evidence that backs up this thought?

The OLM in 13-16 Fusions (certainly applicable in other models as well - this is just the one I know of) will go down to 0% at 12 months no matter the mileage.

Great car.

Is this a "special oil" or something? Many oils have Moly in them, so what makes this one so unique? Its like Toyota and their 0w20 its made by M1 but the additve pack is slightly different. Is it that much different vs M1 0w20 for the money? Will it make a difference in the longevity of the engine? I doubt it.

I am curious about this oil brand and if it is any better than most synthetics available?

Jeff

They want you in the dealership, That's all.

If the oil has reserve tBN then you are good to go - clean liquid paraffins are inherently non-toxic, low reactivity.

Unless it was two mile one way trips 4x week in -20C weather in such situations you should be riding a two-stroke snowmobile or electric quadrunner. That engine will die young no matter what you do
smile.gif

I found that the OE fill is likely the best quality oil and filter I will ever have in the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Great car.

Is this a "special oil" or something? Many oils have Moly in them, so what makes this one so unique? Its like Toyota and their 0w20 its made by M1 but the additve pack is slightly different. Is it that much different vs M1 0w20 for the money? Will it make a difference in the longevity of the engine? I doubt it.

I am curious about this oil brand and if it is any better than most synthetics available?

Is it better? Probably not. The Mazda Moly oil has over 800ppm of molybdenum at last check. This is the Japanese made Idemitsu oil. Most likely that will change as the US Idemitsu Zepro oils have been reformulated. For price comparisons any major brand of oil that meets specs will work. The main point here is that with minimal miles on the engine there is no need to dump the oil.

Run whatever you like to run.

Jeff

Is it better? Probably not. The Mazda Moly oil has over 800ppm of molybdenum at last check. This is the Japanese made Idemitsu oil. Most likely that will change as the US Idemitsu Zepro oils have been reformulated. For price comparisons any major brand of oil that meets specs will work. The main point here is that with minimal miles on the engine there is no need to dump the oil.

Run whatever you like to run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Great car.

Jeff

#1. It is made by Idemitsu, a major supplier in Japan so it is different from oils normally seen and used here.
#2. I’m sure you are aware that there has been an incredible amount of discussion and testing of lightweight oils on this forum. High Moly content and VI are generally considered very good things.
#3. The Idemitsu/Mazda oil is right up there with the best ever tested here so it is special in that regard.

Anecdotally, we saw Honda use moly as part of the engineering package that has apparently solved their VCM reliability issues.

Last edited:
So, manufacturers and oil producers uniformly recommend that oil be changed after one year regardless of mileage. My daughter bought a 2017 Mazda CX-3 in September. The car was built in June of 2016. It now has 500 miles on it. Would you change the oil?

Something else I can give you a heads up about on this car: You're going to see a wrench light up on the dash around 3000 miles. That's Mazda wanting you to come in for your first maintenance visit. Mine lit up the day I was driving it to a Ford dealership to trade it in.

The CX-3 has an adjustable maintenance minder. You can set miles and months manually or set it to automatic to use the onboard OLM. Kinda nice they let you decide.

Mine was set to 5k at the dealers. We are not big mileage drivers so that’s what I expect in a year , give or take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back