Twin Turbo 4cyl Engine for 2019 Silverado 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Walking a show [2017 SEMA] of this size, with so many connected engineers and suppliers in attendance, you overhear a lot of rumors. One of the more significant ones we heard from several sources was that the coming 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is likely to have two new engines: one a powerful twin-turbo four-cylinder gas engine, the other a turbo-diesel 3.0-liter. The V-8 will remain.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/11/rumors-ramblings-and-robots-from-2017-sema-show.html

If a twin turbo 2.7L V6 works for a F150, why not a TT 2.7L inline 4 for the Silverado?

Last edited:
I bet the 2500 is getting a 1.2L I3 next, with four turbos. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
A long time ago in a far, far away galaxy, an engine I dealt with had 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, and two blowers.

What kind of mileage did that engine get?
wink.gif
Probably better to measure in gallons per mile!

Probably a replacement for the base V-6. If they can position as more powerful and more MPG, it can be the volume engine, and Chevy makes their CAFE average.

*cough* just like the mustang *cough*

Why not supplant the 2.8 Duramax into the Silverado?

Oh... then there'd be no reason to buy the Colorado.

The 4.3 has been around for a long time.

Last edited:
Sounds like bunk, with the existence of twin scroll turbos why would an OEM produce a 4 cylinder with TWO turbos? doesn't pass the smell test.

My stock regal can easily produce 16-18 psi of boost at 1600-1700 RPM, what good would twin turbos do in an application where low end power would be more important than top end?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A long time ago in a far, far away galaxy, an engine I dealt with had 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, and two blowers.

What kind of mileage did that engine get?
wink.gif
Probably better to measure in gallons per mile!
It was a actually gph. It was a 1412 hp DD 16V149TI that was the prime mover for a Stewart Stevenson 1000KW generator set. One of the smaller engines I've been around.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Why not supplant the 2.8 Duramax into the Silverado?

Oh... then there'd be no reason to buy the Colorado.

The 4.3 has been around for a long time.

The 4.3 has been on the same platform as the 5.3 and 6.2 since 2014

I wish they would have changed displacements slightly to avoid this kind of lasting confusion.
The new ECO-Tec3 4.3 is rated at 285 HP 305 ft/lbs tq on 87 octane and 297 HP 330 ft/lbs tq on E85

Originally Posted By: Tman220
Sounds like bunk, with the existence of twin scroll turbos why would an OEM produce a 4 cylinder with TWO turbos? doesn't pass the smell test.

My stock regal can easily produce 16-18 psi of boost at 1600-1700 RPM, what good would twin turbos do in an application where low end power would be more important than top end?

My guess is it would have sequential turbos, where a small one is used to get boost just off idle, then a larger one kicks in for top end power.

The TBI 4.3L V6 in my K1500 makes do with 160 HP and 235 torx. Well, it probably has more like 106 HP now, since it is 30 years old and is partially fueled by oil. These days, it is easy to make a 4-cylinder that far exceeds those numbers, and with half the displacement. But ... why not put twin turbos on the Ecotec 4.3? It already has direct injection, cam phasing stuff, oil cooled pistons, and what-not. Oh, but Ford already does a TT V6. In that case, GM can put three turbos on the 4.3. The new EcoTecBoost3 4.3L V6 ... now with three turbos. That is more turbos than the Ford F-150!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back