The heaviest and lightiest oil u have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the heaviest and lightiest motor oils you have used in your rides?

Mine is a 20-50 in my motorcycle and a 5-20 in the cars

Difficult to answer with multigrades, but perhaps

Light : 15W40, or 2-stroke, especially when premixed

Heavy SAE40 or 20W50

OW30
15W40

With my cars I stay between 5W30 and 10W40 now.

I “fuss” with my Son-in-law for using 0W20 in his 2016 4 Runner. LOL. Cmon, she’s still my Daughter....

I've used straight 70w (Kendall Nitro 70) in a cast iron cylinder Harley Shovel head engines. Seems straight 60w and 70w was what everyone was running in those engines. Air cooled, cast iron jugs, somewhat loose bearing clearances, 90+ degree temps made for some thick oil requirements.

Light - 0w30 in a few diesels
Heavy - put some 50 and a few gallons of Lucas in an old loader with a 2 stroke Detroit to sell it with good oil pressure once

!5W-50 in my BMWs with M30 or S38 motors
0W-30 in the N55 in my 2er and N12 in the wife's Clubman

Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Heavy - put some 50 and a few gallons of Lucas in an old loader with a 2 stroke Detroit to sell it with good oil pressure once

I had an old Chevy truck that burned a quart every 25 miles.
At one time, the entire crankcase was 100% thick stuff like STP, Smoke-B-Gone, and Lucas.
That got expensive, so I started feeding it the thickest, blackest, gooiest old used diesel oil I could find.(free)

Thinnest 10w-40 syn-blend
Thickest 20w-50 Dino, what i use in both my cars currently, one because it's the specified oil for it and sometimes on really hot days a 40 grade at idle just doesn't give it enough oil pressure, and the other because it's a daily beater and it burns oil.
I've never owned a car made after 2000 so... not crazy.

When my 84 Civic started burning oil because of the oil rings giving up and failing California smog because of visible smoke. I ran 20w-60 motorcycle oil for a couple of months before rebuilding the engine.

Funny thing. It did not lower my fuel mileage at all compared to the usual 0w-30 oil.

my first car, a '53 Ford, paid 5$ for, came with 90 weight diff lube in the crankcase to keep the main bearings quiet. Flash forward a 1/2 century or more. Yesterday, I used 0w20 for the first time
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back