Wrong oil in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

WmJ

I put tc-3w two cycle oil in a Briggs mower engine that should have 5w30 oil what might be the consequences if I don't drain the oil and start over.

Ha! Haven't we been waiting for his??
wink.gif

Two Stroke oil is nothing more than 30 wt oil with dye and additives. Chances are you aren't going to hurt anything especially in a Briggs and Stratton. There is alot of people who run thier used oil in them and they last.
Briggs and Stratton are about industructable. Anything wet and slippery will suffice.

Probably takes as long to ask the question as it does to empty out the TCW3 and replace whats meant for it. Run it going forth and keep us updated on how long it lasts
smile.gif

And if you can't find the drain plug, it's that little thing that looks like a female square. Stick the male square in there and turn it to the left to loosen. I hope I didn't violate R/S/P by saying that.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Two Stroke oil is nothing more than 30 wt oil with dye and additives. Chances are you aren't going to hurt anything especially in a Briggs and Stratton. There is alot of people who run thier used oil in them and they last.
Briggs and Stratton are about industructable. Anything wet and slippery will suffice.

Have to agree.

Lawn mower engines are very resilient and can survive with anything resembling oil in the crank case. If two cycle engine oil can provide the necessary protection for super high revving two stroke engines, I'd be confident that it will also provide more than adequate protection for a lawnmower engine.

While 2 cycle oil is designed to be burned and has
low ash and minimal other additives, I doubt it will
hurt anything if used for a short while.

My 2¢

You can buy a quart of the proper oil for about $2, and you'll only use about half of it to fill the engine, so about $1. You'd have to be an idiot to not put the proper oil in it.

This has to be a troll post. Surely no one is so lazy as to not take the half hour it would take to drain that crankcase and put the correct oil in it.

I mistakenly, just yesterday, added 5W-20 instead of 5W-30/10W-30 in my lawnmower after an oil change. I think it will be fine, it's Pennzoil Platinum, but, knowing me, I'll likely change it out in the spring, before it's first use, and put at least 5 or 10W-30 in there.
crazy2.gif

Profile says located in Iowa and retired. Which sounds more like someone else that got the BOOT on here. I won't say his name since it makes me cringe to even type it. OP's name is still in the roster list so hasn't been banned yet.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back