Anyone using RLI Bio Syn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Anyone currently using Renewable Lubricants Inc, Bio Syn oil? What is your OCI and is it worth cost? I've found numerous threads from several years ago, but nothing recently. The Audi folks really like this oil.

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

Pajero

I used it about 15 years ago and it worked just fine. I used it in an 850 Volvo turbo wagon that was used frequently between San Diego and Phoenix. The oil was not bothered by high ambient temperatures and fast driving. I also used it in a Caterham with a Repco-Brabham 4.0L alum V8 and really drove it hard, doing a lot of track days. I like the fact that I could speak to the owner/formulator and his wife and they made up several specialized batches while I was experimenting with different setups on the R/B V8. That project ended when someone offered me an outrageous amount for the car. The day after I sold it I wanted it back but that didn't happen.

The only problem I can see is ordering 5 gallons at a time and dealing with the shipping.

There is no problem with the quality of the oil and dealing with them is excellent.

Right now I'm using Red Line because a friend is a warehouse distributor and gives me a screaming deal on all their products. Without them, I'd be back with RLI.

Thanks for the info OneEyeJack! Their prices seem cheaper on amazon. Those gallon containers are a pain.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I got some of the Bio Syn booster pak to try. I plan to mix it in with some CJ-4 M1 Delvac ESP @ 8% strength when I change the oil this Saturday. Will post UOA when changed out in about 8 months...

Last edited:
I used RLI for a while in my previous car (E36 M3). That car had big issues with oil consumption and fuel dilution, which I had figured RLI's formulations could control better than most. Turned out to be right about that. Only reason I stopped was that the car started to show signs of head gasket failure. Switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 to ride it out until it became undriveable.

IMO, the main reasons to use RLI are:

1. Your engine has a problem it might address, and/or
2. You want to deal with an all-American small business.

Given either of those, it's 100% worth the cost. Otherwise, you can probably do better.

RLI Is awesome stuff. I have over 50 quarts of their stuff in various weights of oil. All bought for 3-5$ a quart. I also have some of their fuel cleaner (1 gallon) and some TCW3. Oh and 2 gallons of their booster pack that I got for a little over 40$ a piece.

Most of the miles (173,000 something) on my 3.0 TDI Touareg were on RLI. Some of my UOAs are here, but most are on tdiclub.com. I once towed 1,000 miles heavy at speed with a tuning box that stressed the RLI, but a lesser oil would have faired far worse. I got rid of the box. VW bought the Touareg back because of dieselgate.

Once I get back into diesels I'll probably go with RLI again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back