Uniroyal tiger paw gtz awful in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these tires on my car they're a very stiff tire but in the dryer they handle great
In the wet though I have a hard time even taking off. I can't take off aggressively at all. Even when I take off average like I have a hard time gaining grip. I have to drive like grandma to not spin the tires and upset the traction control. Anyone else had these experience this? Is there anything I can do?

I had something similar with my BF Goodrich Advantage T/A. I switched to Michelin Premier A/S when it was time to replace my tires. No regrets. The wet grip is insanely good.

Did you recently buy them and are they from a national chain? You might have a satisfaction trial period and be able to exchange them.
Contact Uniroyal BY PHONE and complain. https://www.uniroyaltires.com/homepage/about-uniroyal/Contact-us.html

You could have them siped. It may or may not help and you may have a hard time finding someone that does it or will do used tires.
The tread compound obviously sucks. I'm sure there is a Youtube video on siping.

You post your findings on tire rack.com to warn other folks and pick well reviewed tires by folks and see what bubbles up to top for your driving conditions AND budget.

Been there done that, unfortunate.

Yeah these are junk. I used to use them as burners on the drift car as my rear size was quite cheap and I lived 2 miles from tire rack.

That is exactly the kind of performance I would expect from a cheap Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. Cheap, and bad.

It is also exactly the kind of performance everyone here has always gotten from anything named "Uniroyal". Cheap, and bad.

Did you really have some other kind of expectation?

Great tires have been recommended you in the past. You insist on going to budget route and it has ended up costing you more in the long run. Spring the money for better tires this time. Maybe save the money spent on cosmetic stuff and put it towards more practical things.

Last time I tried to buy tires I bought the Coopers and they were terrible and the store replace them a couple times never could get them to balance out correctly and finally just said they were going to put Uniroyal back on it I requested something else but pretty much got railroaded looking back I should have just in the ground but it was so overwhelming having to drive a half hour over and over for them to try to fix a problem that I just wanted it done.

Just for conversation sake how good are falken tires? Aren't they made by sumitomo?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Just for conversation sake how good are falken tires? Aren't they made by sumitomo?

Sumitomo owns Falken, just like Michelin owns Uniroyal, and look where that got you.
smile.gif

Falken is a lower end brand.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Falken tires are awesome! I have the Ziex ZE950 on my car, and they have been good so far. My tire size is 205/65-15, and the ZE950 is the only tire in my size that has a speed rating of W, which is awesome. A W-rated 65-series tire is cool!
cool.gif

Easily one of the best lower-priced tires out there.

And yes, Sumitomo is the parent company of Falken.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Sumitomo owns Falken, just like Michelin owns Uniroyal, and look where that got you.
smile.gif

Falken is a lower end brand.

There is a MUCH bigger difference between Michelin and Uniroyal (Michelin makes their tires differently than everybody else, including their own subsidiaries BFG and Uniroyal). The Michelin system cannot be done in other factories, and the standard production cannot be done in Michelin's plants. For example, you won't see Defenders and Pilot Super
Sports made in the former Uniroyal/BFG factories. And you won't see Tiger Paws and Comp-2's made alongside Michelin-branded tires. I remember Capriracer talking about this before, but I can't find the post.

BF Goodrich tires are decent. However, Uniroyal is garbage even by lower end brand standards. And they were even worse before the Michelin takeover
crazy2.gif

---NOTE----
Uniroyal is owned by Michelin in the US, but in Europe, Uniroyal is owned by Continental. The Conti-made Uniroyals are not sold in the US by anyone under any name, not Michelin, not Conti, not General, not anybody.
-----------

The difference between Sumitomo and Falken is essentially zero. In fact, Sumitomo sells relatively few tires under its own name, as the Falken brand is much more popular. The summer tires for both brands are mostly made in Japan (Sumitomo HTR Z III, Falken Azenis FK510, RT615K, etc), while the all-seasons are mostly made in Thailand and Indonesia. But Sumitomo does own Goodyear's old Tonawanda factory now, and they have started making Falken tires there now; it is their only US factory. I don't know exactly which tires the will be making there, but I'm sure some of the OE tires will come from there.

In fact, the ZE950 I mentioned earlier is also sold as the Sumitomo HTR AS P02. The only difference is slightly different siping. And another twist, DT/DTD sells a private/exclusive version of the Sumitomo version under than name Falken Pro G4, but it is actually a Sumitomo HTR P02, not a Falken ZE950
crazy2.gif

Other low end brands are better than Uniroyal. For example, Goodyear's Kelly and Cooper's Mastercraft are better than Uniroyal. Plus, most Kelly tires are US-made, and so are the Walmart Douglas tires (also Goodyears).

@Overkill
the OP's tire size seems to be 225/50-18, but the PSS is available in that size
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

Other good choices for the OP's tire size of 225/50-18 at a lower price:
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

So I hear people either say Uniroyals are great or they are terrible? I'm not disputing it but what makes them junk?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
@Overkill
the OP's tire size seems to be 225/50-18,

OP's tire size is (should be) 225/40/18.

@Overkill
the OP's tire size seems to be 225/50-18, but the PSS is available in that size
smile.gif

But it is expensive.

Other good choices for the OP's tire size of 225/50-18 at a lower price:
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Why would you recommend any of those for all-season use in a Dodge Dart?

I'd throw some H/V rated altimax rt43, or Cooper CS5 ultra touring on it.. but as soon as this reaches 3-4 pages of good tire suggestions.....

ChevRammBoyMan will go buy some other POS tire afterwards anyway. so no point in suggesting anything.

This happens with everything, from Job, Tools, Tires, Cars, Marital advice etc.

Could be some kind of bad tv sitcom.

The difference between Sumitomo and Falken is essentially zero.

OK, so they're both lower end brands.
smile.gif

What I and others were getting at is that maybe it's time the OP bought something more higher end if he's having so many issues with the lower end ones. You still need to do your research though as even then top end brands make some mediocre tire models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back