What would happen if I used 2T oil instead of 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious. What would happen to an engine if I used motorcycle 2T oil instead of 0W-20 synthetic? I believe both have similar viscosity at 40 and 100 degrees C. (I seem to recall an old post here where it was stated that some old school mechanics would actually do this.)

Originally Posted By: JC1
We need more information. What vehicle and motor is this going into and where do you live.

Ah, just an ordinary daily driver, say, a 4-year old Accord.

2-stroke oil is designed for a total loss system. Its service life is measured in fractions of a second, then its burned and/or out the exhaust port(s).

4-stroke oil.....isn't

Two cycle oil is typically a 30 viscosity oil, that has been thinned down by solvents or other thinners to ensure mixability. Using two stroke oil as motor oil is not an ideal choice. I don't predict disaster, as nearly ANY oil of ANY sort will protect an engine. Maybe we can ask the Youtube user "project farm" the testing guy to use 2t oil in his crankcase.

Cujet, I won't think that guy is willing to destroy his testbed.
smile.gif
At least most of his other trials appear to have minimal long-term effects on his machinery.

Maybe try it on a junkjard vehicle that still runs.

2T can be Naptha oil. Not for high temps designed to be burned off. 2 strokes have a crnk case but no oil reserve in a sump.

So 2T is not for engines with oil sump and with a LOW flash it my cause BACKFIRES in a 4 stroke.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Just curious. What would happen to an engine if I used motorcycle 2T oil instead of 0W-20 synthetic?

It will emit a bright light and send you back to 1955 when you reach 88 mph.

I've done it. Riding a borrowed bike, I found no oil in the oil tank, I had no oil at home, so went over to my neighbours place and found some 2 stroke oil to pour in the tank...then gave the bike back to the owner. Old BSA single, dry sump and a roller bottom end like a 2 stroke. I ended up with that engine, and it was perfectly fine inside.

I have considered doing this to a Renault 5 as a temporary work-around when I failed a British MOT inpection for "visible smoke", since I thought it might burn cleaner.

First I tried an oil change (Castrol GTX with Wynns viscosity improver goo), and cleaned out the crankcase breather, and it passed, but I also changed the MOT inspector, which was probably the most significant change made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back