by Yah-Tah-Hey
Yesterday at 06:10 PM
Blending E85 to use as cleaner in non-FFV
by ltslimjim
Yesterday at 05:33 PM
01 Tahoe instrument cluster replacement question
by mjk
Yesterday at 05:25 PM
Reasonable price to pay some one to detail?
by Colt45ws
Yesterday at 05:09 PM
FCA upheaval--Marchionne ill, Jeep CEO takes over
by Carmudgeon
Yesterday at 04:42 PM
Duck Boat
by Zee09
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
What are these valves and can I use them to...
by E150GT
Yesterday at 04:06 PM
OBD Tool
by dawgn86
Yesterday at 03:31 PM
Any experience with the new FA-4 oils?
by SubaJew
Yesterday at 03:24 PM
What's the average life (in miles) of mc tires
by JeepWJ19
Yesterday at 03:00 PM
Car Recommendation: haul an electric scooter
by brueggma1
Yesterday at 02:54 PM
300ZX Starter replacement
by aquariuscsm
Yesterday at 02:50 PM
Newest Members
ppreedom, krugger, jznwhite, S2K, tweak999
65524 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (Blkstanger, AVB, Bullwinkle007, Ag76, boom10ful, 14Accent, 1 invisible), 920 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65524 Members
67 Forums
287440 Topics
4795232 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Topic Options
#4579750 - 11/20/17 06:19 AM US Constitution / Bill of Rights Question ...
LoneRanger Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Civics related, and not inherently religious or political since it deals more with the US Bill of Rights and separation of church and state upon which USA was founded.

Should police officers i.e. government agents, be ordered by the agency's CEO to participate in events called Community Outreach if the event requires participants from the community to attend a Christian prayer service in order to receive their free Holiday food basket? It would seem as though the police might be interpreted by attendees as ensuring that arrivals are ushered into the prayer service.

The organization putting on the event bills itself as a "ministry."

This appears to be a slippery slope, and borderline endorsement of not only a particular religion, but a particular approach/style (denomination) within same.

'09 Subaru Forester ...................(QS HM 5W30)
'16 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 .....(ENI i-Ride PG 10W60)

#4579759 - 11/20/17 06:27 AM Re: US Constitution / Bill of Rights Question ... [Re: LoneRanger]
madRiver Offline

Loc: New England
The order is the issue but should be left to police officers if they don't want to attend for religious reasons.

Community outreach whether attending Christian, Muslim, Jewish or xxxxx services is a great thing. This is coming from an agnostic guy who has Muslim and Christian parents married to a non practicing Jew!

I attend all sort of stuff and enjoy it.

#4579766 - 11/20/17 06:42 AM Re: US Constitution / Bill of Rights Question ... [Re: LoneRanger]
W9HDG Offline

Loc: WI
First of all, no where in the Constitution/Bill of Rights do the words "Separation of Church and State" appear. That was to come later in a letter written by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptist Association:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

What it means is that the government is prohibited from establishing a national church, or interfering in the free practice of any religion (just like it says in the 1st Amendment). This wall however is somewhat one way. It doesn't mean that religion cannot have an influence on governmental policy.

I would argue that the participation of Law Enforcement in these sorts of events is not a violation for a couple of reasons:

1.) Local Law Enforcement is not under the control of federal government, which is what the constitution covers.
2.) Chances are the organizers of the event are receiving a bill for law enforcement services (so they are providing a paid for service)
3.) It is an equal opportunity service that is being provided. They will provide the same service to any religion that requires it.

I hope this makes sense, and isn't too political.

#4579767 - 11/20/17 06:43 AM Re: US Constitution / Bill of Rights Question ... [Re: LoneRanger]
dnewton3 Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Sadly, I see no ability of this thread to not get R and P into the discussion.
I understand your question, but the answers are going to delve right into where we don't allow folks to go.
That does not mean those wanting to discuss cannot PM each other, however. Just keep it private and civil.

Locked.

Edited by dnewton3 (11/20/17 06:44 AM)