Replacing Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HorseThief
That being said, its rated for 750cca and tests out at 600, so it may be on its way out soon.

IIRC Midtronics says 60% of stock CCA is marginal and 50% is the replacement criterion used for warranty. So you may have time to go. I guess if you test it often you'll notice a trend/ nosedive.

I think, and correct me if I am wrong with my logic, that regardless of battery brand you shouldn't go for really high CCA models. The higher the CCA, the thinner the plates and durability goes down.

Back in the day I was going thru a battery a year in my Jeep CJ7 (still have it!). I was using 1000cca batteries. After the 3rd one my dad told me that the Jeep didn't require a lot of CCA and to try the original rating. The OEM battery fitted in 1978 was 525CCA. I got a 650CCA battery and it lasted a full 4 years!. That Jeep was off road a lot and bounced a lot.

Even today, I won't buy a battery with more than, say, 700CCA and I don't know of any car maker installing any batteries higher than that.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I float the batteries once a month with a.5 A Centech. I want to see if this will extend battery life. Also, battery guys. I have heard that a lower priced battery in a larger case size will have less (wider spaced) plates. The advantage to this is that there is more room for debris that would normally short a denser battery. Any truth to this? TIA.

the plates in ALL flooded batteries do not extend to the bottom of the casing in order to allow room for shed material. Cheaper batteries may have less plates, but they can also have cheaper construction and lower quality cell seperators (which is what really makes the most impact on shorting plates). Plate material is generally shed as small particles. If chunks of material are falling off of the plates, than the battery is pretty much toast.
without getting into too many specifics of construction and effects of lifespan that I don't know enough about, I can tell you that a battery with higher CCA may not see any benefit in a hot climate. In a hot/dry climate the water can evaporate from the electrolyte leading to faster corrosion, sulfation, and breakdown (along with higher heat already accelerating the breakdown process). Having more electrolyte (and possibly slightly lower specific gravity/acid concentration) and preventing evaporation seem to be the key to achieving reasonable service life in these climates.

topping off your batteries monthly can definitely extend the lifespan in some situations, but modern vehicles are lead acid batteries' worst enemy with higher drains, "smart" charging systems, and start-stop technology. They're being short-cycled to death. It's not uncommon for modern vehicles to NEVER exhibit slow-cranking symptoms of a dying battery - they either just work or they don't. The constant shallow cycling depletes the battery's capacity while it's conductance remains adequate.

Part of the problem is with manufacturers not working hard enough to incorporate the right battery for their needs and bowing to pressure to make cars as efficient as possible. Most modern vehicles would strongly benefit from an AGM battery (and a proper charging system to match), but that would add cost to every vehicle sold (and cost to replace) without an immediate benefit to them or the consumer. Can the battery outlast the warranty period until it's the consumers' problem? Good enough. Now more than ever, it's become hard to extrapolate your experience with one particular brand or battery between different vehicles.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I think, and correct me if I am wrong with my logic, that regardless of battery brand you shouldn't go for really high CCA models. The higher the CCA, the thinner the plates and durability goes down.

Back in the day I was going thru a battery a year in my Jeep CJ7 (still have it!). I was using 1000cca batteries. After the 3rd one my dad told me that the Jeep didn't require a lot of CCA and to try the original rating. The OEM battery fitted in 1978 was 525CCA. I got a 650CCA battery and it lasted a full 4 years!. That Jeep was off road a lot and bounced a lot.

Even today, I won't buy a battery with more than, say, 700CCA and I don't know of any car maker installing any batteries higher than that.

my point exactly - higher plate count just means more surface area to corrode at the same rate and less electrolyte to evaporate. In this case, YOU shouldn't buy a higher CCA battery being in TX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: HorseThief
That being said, its rated for 750cca and tests out at 600, so it may be on its way out soon.

IIRC Midtronics says 60% of stock CCA is marginal and 50% is the replacement criterion used for warranty. So you may have time to go. I guess if you test it often you'll notice a trend/ nosedive.

I try not to rely to heavily on the tester's health diagnosis - like just now it said "good, recharge". In my case (ford 4.6L), I know that once the battery hits 500CCA, i start having issues with slow cranking and that the batteries capacity is most likely depleted beyond my comfort zone. I just ran out and tested my battery (slow day at work) with a midtronics MDX-P300. I made a mistake - the battery is actually rated 850CCA, not 750. At 35-40 degrees ambient temp, it's testing out at 588CCA and 12.3V. I guess now is the winter of MY discontent... and spending more money on my car than I want to. I'm gonna throw a charger on it when I get home and see how long it goes, but I'm thinking i'll be buying a new battery shortly.

EDIT - Oddly enough, I just had a customer come in to buy a battery for a 2014 chevy equinox. They burn through batteries in 3-4 years max and often fail without warning. The customer said it doesn't crank slow, but if he sits in the car with the radio on for 5 minutes, it won't start at all. Bonus - when he jumpstarted it the last time, the power steering fuse blew...

It's just really funny to me that with newer vehicles, I am using a carbon-pile load test more than ever. nothing like a 15 second 100A+ run to weed out a bad battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

My 2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7L V8 still has its factory installed battery rated at 730 CCA; it's a Johnson Controls Group 94R AGM still going strong after five and a half years of service.

When it croaks it'll either be replaced by a Bosch (Exide) Group 94R AGM with 800 CCA from Pep Boys or a Duracell (East Penn) Group 94R AGM with 800 CCA from Sam's Club.

Last edited:
I've always had used cars, and tend to be the last owner, so battery replacement is something I accept as inevitable.

A factory battery seems to last c. 8 years here, with exceptions both ways, and if I get three years out of a replacement I figure that's pretty typical. It's not only the quality of the replacement battery, but probably also due to the car being older.

Anyway, in early '09 I bought an Optima Red Top AGM for our '01 Protege. The car went to the junkyard in mid-2106 with the same battery. I was very impressed, and should have kept it (the battery).

In early '11 I bought same for our '97 Mazda MPV. That battery is still going strong some 6-1/2 years later. (Prior to that, the MPV needed a new battery about every 2 to 3 years.)

I'll likely buy more when the factory batteries in our two '09s fail.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've had great success with Costco. And their warranty is "no questions asked". I don't know of a seller with a better conventional battery or a better battery policy.

+1

This thread's got me wondering if there's a conspiracy to make shoddy plates (cheaper/garbage batteries) in order to induce people to buy AGM batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back