Salt water in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my boat running that sank, so I pumped out the gas. I have about 20 gallons of it. Can I filter out the water and put it back in? I'm a little worried about it being salt water.

Some fire departments will take bad gas and use in training fires …

I would not try to use it myself …

What type of gas? If non-ethanol, yes. Let it separate out, pull the gas off the top and pour it back in the tank.

If you were using fuel that contained ethanol...it's different. Ethanol mixes with water much better than it mixes with gasoline, and any water in the fuel will draw the ethanol out of solution with the gasoline, so what separates out is only gasoline, but of a considerably lower octane grade now that it's lost it's ethanol. If you run the boat on 87, I might add 5 gallons of your recovered fuel to 20 gallons of fresh 91 out of the pump, but aside from that, I'd use it to kill weeds.

They come in different sizes. Gasoline and water goes in -- Gasoline comes out.

s954405581424864267_p2_i3_w1417.jpeg

I use one of these to fill my skiff ~ what is considered the “sump” to catch heavier “free water” is quite small. I think it’s great as a precaution ~ but not sure how well it will work a high percentage of water in 20 gallons …

Salt water belongs under the boat ~ not in a tiny sensitive fuel system on the motor …

Do you have a Racor filter ahead of engine fuel filter …

I'm not sure how dissolved salt could be filtered easily...I'd definitely be concerned about that crystallizing out in the combustion chamber.
Isn't that why people put sugar in the gas tanks of their enemies?
Might be some chemical approach that could work to get that stuff out, but aren't we talking about less than $100 worth of product unless this is some special marine gas?

Originally Posted By: Claud
How much does 20 gallons cost?. Is it worth risking your engine for?. Claud.

Good thinking. Can't believe anyone would even consider putting the fuel back in.

Lets see...20 gallons at $2.50/gal is $50.

So, as long as you boat engine is only worth $50 then why not? Oh wait, the funnel is another $10 so as long as your engine is only worth $40.

Seriously though, I would not even dream of doing this and I have RACORS.

And as was mentioned above...saltwater behaves differently than fresh water in filters.

Originally Posted By: Claud
How much does 20 gallons cost?. Is it worth risking your engine for?.

Claud.

Pretty much what I was thinking .

How many gallons of fuel was in there before it sank vs after?

I wouldn't even consider using that fuel. Water and fuel will separate, that's true, but your remaining fuel will have high chloride, which will cause additional corrosion and other unforeseen issues, such as plating out in high temp areas.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I forgot salt water has more buoyancy or whatever.

Salt water is heavier. That's why people float higher when swimming in the dead sea - high salinity.

You failed to tell us if it's e-free or E-10 (or E-15 gas) or whatever.

If it's E-10 or more, getting it to separate will be easy. I would still use a Mr. Funnel, then use it for my rider mower after that.

Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.

1. Water can become completely miscible with fuel and not separate. The use of some fuel additives will exaggerate this problem incredibly.

2. Mr. Funnel or a Racor both have very limited capacity to separate water from fuel. After a few ounces, it's headed straight for your tank.

We have dealt with this problem 3 times this week alone. Take the fuel to hazardous waste disposal and forget it.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
2. Mr. Funnel or a Racor both have very limited capacity to separate water from fuel. After a few ounces, it's headed straight for your tank.

In my experience with it, the funnel will stop flowing any gasoline until I empty the funnel of the water. It never allows any water to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back