Do you know how large Moose can get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago, I had a slightly less huge, but still huge moose wake me up when it sauntered by my lean-to in the wee hours of the morning. I was just glad it was sauntering, because I couldn't make moose-sized decisions before I had my coffee.

Coincidentally, I read the Wikipedia article on moose just the other day. The largest N American moose is the Alaskan. It rarely gets to 2m and 1000 lbs, Siberian Moose get a bit larger. Accurate records of 7' and 1500lbs.

Someone I know was killed just last week from hitting a moose on the road. The bumper simply trips the moose and now you have a 1000+ pound projectile that will rip everything off from the base of the window to the roof from the windshield to the trunk...like a sardine can. Their coats somewhat absorb headlight which make them even harder to detect at night compounded by highways speeds. To top it off, at certain times of the season they get dumb and aggressive and don't care about anything other than finding a mate, which makes it worse.

Last edited:
Very, very true. Watching the Alaska State troopers show there was a bad car accident involving a moose. What you described is exactly what happened to that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kurtatron
Looks fake. The lighting is all wrong, and where is its shadow in the 2nd pic?

It does look fake. If that moose is real it is a freak of nature.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It does look fake. If that moose is real it is a freak of nature.

We have no point of reference to give any scale. A moose walking by some saplings on a narrow path?. Or is it a behemoth freak?. Or a photoshop?.

Claud.

Yeah they went to the moon too.
lol.gif

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/m/moose/

Moose typically are 6ft high at the shoulders but there have been extremely larger ones like this.

Quote:

COMMON NAME: Moose
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Alces alces
TYPE: Mammals
DIET: Herbivores
GROUP NAME: Herd
AVERAGE LIFE SPAN IN THE WILD: 15 to 20 years
SIZE: Height at shoulder, 5 to 6.5 ft
WEIGHT: 1,800 lbs

Last edited:
Presuming the road is a "normal" gravel lane, it would be about 12' wide. (at a bare min, that gravel drive would be 10' wide).
The underbelly of the moose, in relation to the road, would be about 6'+ feet high. That would make the moose easily 10'+ just at the shoulder.

No way.

Last edited:
The only real size reference is the width of the road and it's natural to assume it's at least 8-10 feet wide.
Maybe it's only a 4' path and that throws us off? Does seem wider to me for some reason...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The only real size reference is the width of the road and it's natural to assume it's at least 8-10 feet wide.
Maybe it's only a 4' path and that throws us off? Does seem wider to me for some reason...

It could be a smaller path for a ATV, distorting the perception of the moose.
But that would make the trees stupidly small in relation also.

Hence, the gravel lane is probably AT LEAST 10' wide.
Take a piece of paper and mark off the width of the road. Then measure from the foot of the moose to it's shoulder; it's exactly the same distance. 10' wide path = 10' tall at the shoulder. If it's a 12' path, it's a 12' reach to his shoulder.

FAKE PIX!

Last edited:
I've seen that picture before and don't believe it is real.

With that said, I would not want to come face to face with a moose in the woods. They can be very aggressive, especially a mother with a baby. Their population has been increasing in Northern CT over the past several years. I haven't seen one but there have been a few reports of them on game cameras in the area.

This is a regular occurrence in some provinces. Some of them even know to wait until they see the walk symbol at intersessions I'm told. Never saw this though...

3024638.jpg

moose%20crossing.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back