Inside Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this video last night. It is encouraging that they have an engine lab as part of their R&D capabilities. Many folks, including myself, have always thought of Amsoil as a “two guys in a shed” type blending operation. Amsoil has really come a long way since the 70s. I still think the company would go a lot further if they got rid of their dated MLM distribution practice.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just saw this video last night. It is encouraging that they have an engine lab as part of their R&D capabilities. Many folks, including myself, have always thought of Amsoil as a “two guys in a shed” type blending operation. Amsoil has really come a long way since the 70s. I still think the company would go a lot further if they got rid of their dated MLM distribution practice.

It seems to be working for them. Also I would say that their quality my be first rate if they are able to sell the volumes they do exclusively through the MLM model because most MLM type businesses don't last long if their products are inferior.

That said I have UOA's and long living engines that consume/leak no oil after piles of miles to prove that it works. Plus it's about the same price as off the shelf synthetics here with the Preferred customer and points programs they offer and it gets shipped to my door. I use it in my engine, trans, power steering, brake system and all my yard equipment.

The real test will be when I convert to the Bypass filtration system shortly and push the heck out of an OCI. I'm excited to see those results.

Last edited:
I found it a bit humourous - earlier in the video, when talking about conventional vs. synthtic oil, the Amsoil guy says conventonal oils are just 'lightly refined'...making it sound like they just filter crude and stick it in a bottle!

I'm sure the maker of a conventional SN/GF oil would be thrilled to hear that!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I found it a bit humourous - earlier in the video, when talking about conventional vs. synthtic oil, the Amsoil guy says conventonal oils are just 'lightly refined'...making it sound like they just filter crude and stick it in a bottle!

I'm sure the maker of a conventional SN/GF oil would be thrilled to hear that!

Yeah like Castrol winning their argument in court over highly refined Grp III being "Synthetic"

Their logo says "1st in Synthetics" - I always thought Mobil 1 was the first synthetic oil.

They developed them for Aircraft use initially because of the extremely low temperature requirements encountered at 60,000ft where air temperatures can be -60 celcius. That is how they got started, then in 1972 came out with a synthetic motor oil for passenger car use.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Nope just passionate about the great products that have been super good to me. I read a lot and thus have a lot of information on the company is all.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Nope just passionate about the great products that have been super good to me. I read a lot and thus have a lot of information on the company is all.
grin2.gif

All good then.

In the video, they failed to make the distinction between GroupIII synthetic base oils and the PAO ones. GroupIII is refined from crude (or natural gas derived). PAO is more like the "built" molecules they described, but Amsoil isn't all PAO.

Wondering if Amsoil's market share is falling. A lot of competition, many synth oils out there at bargain prices compared to Amsoil.

There also other members of BITOG that have met me in real life that can vouch for me if there are doubts...
13.gif

Last edited:
Apparently they are available in retail stores in the U.S. just not Walmart from talking with people here on BITOG. In Canada they are in some retail stores but mostly Mom/Pop parts stores.

Especially with Mobil coming out with "Extended Protection" motor oils and now their Annual Protection (20k miles), this would seem to make it rough for Amsoil.
I guess you just have to believe in Amsoil. No dexos1 certifications, so we go on faith.... yep

They claim their oils meet the Dexos certifications but they aren't officially licensed. After running their oils in all my vehicles over the past decade both in and out of warranty and achieving the great amount of miles I have trouble free operating the vehicles like a fleet vehicle with long hours. I have every confidence in whatever certifications they claim to meet.

Heck their "Multi-Vehicle" ATF which claims to meet all sorts of specifications for a ton of manufacturers all with this one oil had me a bit concerned but I got 300K Miles (535,000km) out of the Santa Fe transmission and there are tons of stories of these blowing up without the specific use of a Diamond SP-III fluid which Amsoil claims to meet the specification for.

Plus there are no stories online about engine/trans failure using Amsoil properly and there is a good warranty to back this in case in the off chance it does happen.

But they do have an O.E. line of Engine/Trans oils that are licensed by the API just in case folks are overly concerned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Their logo says "1st in Synthetics" - I always thought Mobil 1 was the first synthetic oil.

Its a bit of a 'play' on words - Amsoil was the first API-certified 100% synthetic oil in 1972. It me the then-new API 'SE' requirements for passenger cars.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

There were a number of companies that produced synthetic oils before AMSOIL, most notably Hatco who I believe produced the first synthetic oil for automotive use in conjunction with Al. AMSOIL isn't the first producer of synthetic oils, as they'd been used and developed extensively for jet engine use prior to that, rather they were the first to produce an API-certified synthetic oil for passenger car usage. Mobil 1 came shortly after, although Mobil had been already producing synthetic oils for other applications well prior to that.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
In the video, they failed to make the distinction between GroupIII synthetic base oils and the PAO ones. GroupIII is refined from crude (or natural gas derived). PAO is more like the "built" molecules they described, but Amsoil isn't all PAO.

Wondering if Amsoil's market share is falling. A lot of competition, many synth oils out there at bargain prices compared to Amsoil.

I accept Molakule's argument that group III (non-GTL, which we usually called III+) is not truly synthetic as it is not synthesized from simpler chemical components, but it is sure heck isn't just refined (meaning separated out) from crude, either. Hydrocracking is a process of chemical modification, but basically a reduction of heavier components into lighter instead of a synthesis as I understand. I believe the only group that is strictly just refined is I, while II and III reflect different degrees of hydrocracking. GTL III+ is made through truly synthesizing natural gas into oil, but it's arguable whether the final product is distinguishable from group III in performance.
As we have discussed many times even in my few years poking around on BITOG, "synthetic" is really a marketing term in the US and I know a stricter definition is enforced by law in Germany (not sure about other parts of Europe). But saying that oil marketed as synthetic in the US can just be elements of crude that are refined out is just plain wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back