seizing tecumseh hs50??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought I had it all figured out about ope. until today. My snowblower tecumseh seizes after a minute or two regardless of power. It seizes and can be turned free with a wrech, then starts just fine again...

So, did the oil vaporize during summer? No, full.
Bad oil? Changed it to new synth 0w30.
Dirt in the cooling fins? Took starter cover off and checked, nothing.

What the h--l is happening? Anyone? Ideas?
Can the lubrication break in some way I don't understand?

Possibly the oil dipper on the connecting rod broke off. I have seen it happen if it is a stamped steel one. If is an aluminum bore engine it could be that the chrome plating on the piston wore off and the piston is sticking to the cylinder, but that usually happens when you shut off the engine. No way to check either without taking the engine apart.

Originally Posted By: old1
Possibly the oil dipper on the connecting rod broke off. I have seen it happen if it is a stamped steel one. If is an aluminum bore engine it could be that the chrome plating on the piston wore off and the piston is sticking to the cylinder, but that usually happens when you shut off the engine. No way to check either without taking the engine apart.

This

Thx, that was it! Broken off slinger, see pic. Now lets see if I completely ruined it....
frown.gif

Last edited:
dump the synthetic oil, replace the dipper and see if it runs good enough to use. dont over engineer it or worry about every little imperfection you see. its a snowblower. ive seen small engines that were hurt bad and cylinders scratched, metal in oil run for years after they were deemed no good by someone else. run some 5w30 conventional- the oil it was recommended to run in it the day it was new by the engineers that built it. ii would ck the plastic governor gear as they are prone for failure in those engines.

Ok, I found the other half of the dipper too. Two questions:
1- You think I could weld them together maybe usin a washer underneath? (Hard to find part with short notice...)
2- What bolt on the rod is it supposed to be attached to? And what orientation? Anyone got a pic?

Originally Posted By: lars11
Thx, that was it! Broken off slinger, see pic.

Apparently, "seizing" was the correct word after all.
shocked2.gif

You could probably weld it with a washer, if you are an excellent welder, but they aren't very expensive, and shouldn't take too long to get. And it goes on the lower bolt.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd get a replacement oil dipper. You don't want it to come apart again at the wrong time.

+1

You might want to pull the con-rod cap off and polish the crank journal to ensure it's OK.

I have no problem fabricating my own parts. Sometimes they can be engineered NOT to fail like the OEM part.

And remember that thick oil will place additional load on that part. I suggest a quality synthetic.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I'm surprised it didn't throw the rod since it wasn't getting oiled properly.

+1

Usually with low oil or no lubrication the rod goes right out the side.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I'm surprised it didn't throw the rod since it wasn't getting oiled properly.

+1

Usually with low oil or no lubrication the rod goes right out the side.

Yep, in typical Tecumseh fashion lol

After replacing the oil slinger, the connecting rod could still break in short order. In addition to replacing the oil slinger, I would also replace the connecting rod and polish the crankshaft journal. Also, be sure to polish the crankshaft journal on the flywheel end because it might have been seizing-up there (this is highly likely because of the fact that it didn't throw a rod).

Last edited:
Update: I found a new slinger part and it could only be oriented one way. One of the connecting rod cap bolts was loose, so I figured that where it should be placed (the lower bolt). The journal was rubbed a bit and the cover difficult to remove so I polished the axle and journal and put it back together. Started fine and I just finished throwing snow for 45 minutes, no problems at all yet. I think the axle journals seized the Engine when starved of oil. Now lets see how long it lasts....
smile.gif

Analysis: The mild steel plate in the slinger was basically forged paper thin around the bolt. When it broke the bolt was loose, hence the rod cap was semi open... Could this be the reason for the rod throwing tecumsehs? This Engine was tie-wrapped at higher rpm than ordinary when I got it several years ago. I put it back on goverened 3300 rpm instead.
What I mean is: People run them at top rpm, then the dipper forges thin, then the bolt loosens, then the rod cap breaks and it throws the rod out the side.

So could the rod throwing be due to the soft steel in the dipper? What do you Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back