M2.0 Compact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here buy the new S&W M2.0 Compact? My wife says Santa Claus might bring me one for Christmas.
I was at the range last weekend and decided to rent the M2.0 Compact 9mm, the G19.5, and the SIG 320. This is how I rank them;
1) M2.0
2) P320
3) G19.5
Quite honestly, the Glock doesn't impress me at all. All they did really was shave off the finger grooves, put a slide stop on the other side, and rounded off the front of the frame. That's not enough to make me want to spend an extra $50 on a newer Glock.

I guess the naming S&W chose for this pistol is for those in the know. To call a gun compact with an overall length of 7.3" is odd.
Regardless, you made a smart move by renting one and now have a valid comparison to how it shoots.
I'll see if they have one for rent the next time I go shooting.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
To call a gun compact with an overall length of 7.3" is odd.
A Glock 19/23/32 (their compact) is 7.28" inches long and SIG P229 compacts are 7.7" and the P320 X-CARRY is 7.4" long. It would seem that S&W is right there with the other major semi-auto manufacturers with regards to OAL of compact models.

Originally Posted By: SwampRabbit
Anyone here buy the new S&W M2.0 Compact?
I am heavily considering buying one as well as the fullsize model. While I love my Glock G4 models, the G5 brings nothing to the table that would cause me to move to one of them.

Just fired a friends at the range the other day. Fantastic pistol! I did not want to give it back! The new M&P 2.0 Compact is just a fantastic gun! Smith made many improvements to the 2.0 gun several of which you don't see. Smith took every single part of the M&P pistol examined it and improved what needed improving.

My friend that has the new M&P 2.0 compact originally purchased the new Sig P320 compact he had several issues with it like not going into battery, failure to eject, failure to feed not to mention the poor slide finish. His plan was to send the gun back to Sig but then the news that the civilian version is not drop safe! So he traded it in. Frankly I shot both the new Sig P320 compact and the new M&P 2.0 and I really can't believe the Army chose the Sig.

Here's another one to consider if you like the S&W line (I do). Compact, 9mm, uber reliable and uber accurate for the size. Blued steel slide/alloy frame model 3914 (3913 in ss).

I literally just brought this in the door about an hour ago from the purchase, a 3rd gen S&W auto/last gen of all steel. This is the blued alloy/steel predecessor of that gun you ask about, the 3914 (3913 in alloy/steel - which is the more well known version). This is a single-stack (my preference), but comes in double-stack as the models 469/669 (blue/ss).

So consider a 3913/3914 too, if you are able to go used. they are excellent and to me, there is still something about alloy/steel vs. polymer/steel. They are a joy to shoot, accurate, and reliable all the same. There is a later CS9 subcompact in 9mm and alloy/steel; I want to track down one of those next.

It might not be what you want, but maybe it can also show you something else to consider.

I do not know why the photo is rotated; it is not on my computer or anywhere else.

Quite honestly, the Glock doesn't impress me at all. All they did really was shave off the finger grooves, put a slide stop on the other side, and rounded off the front of the frame. That's not enough to make me want to spend an extra $50 on a newer Glock.

I think that’s a fair assessment. The gen 4’s and 5’s haven’t been able to convince me to dump my gen 3’s.

I have the full size 2.0 and it's just fantastic. In fact I have it in my nightstand, a high compliment. The compact is almost the exact same size as a G19. If I needed a gun that size, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up

I'm sure the M&P is a good pistol. I just can't get excited about anymore Polymer handguns. I've got 7 Glock's, and a H&K. 8 plastic pistols is more than enough. I'm done as far as adding any more.

We just stocked in a bunch of these brand new production S&W 3rd Gen 3914's, We bought everyone that was available, S&W should be building more new 3rd gen's as they are great pistols with a great following..

We were very excited when we saw that one of our distributors had a dozen for sale from a NYPD order overrun...

Originally Posted By: law3500
We were very excited when we saw that one of our distributors had a dozen for sale from a NYPD order overrun...

And we wonder why New York City is always broke. They had the same situation when they were running S&W 5946 DAO Stainless 9 MM's. Cabela's ended up buying their overrun's on that gun. They're still selling them. Just how difficult of a task is it to figure out how many guns your police force requires?

Originally Posted By: billt460

And we wonder why New York City is always broke. They had the same situation when they were running S&W 5946 DAO Stainless 9 MM's. Cabela's ended up buying their overrun's on that gun. They're still selling them. Just how difficult of a task is it to figure out how many guns your police force requires?

There have always been overruns in the industry. I bought my wife a Customs Service overrun Smith 686 in 1988.

We just stocked in a bunch of these brand new production S&W 3rd Gen 3914's, We bought everyone that was available, S&W should be building more new 3rd gen's as they are great pistols with a great following..

That is interesting. And I totally agree with your suggestion.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

There have always been overruns in the industry. I bought my wife a Customs Service overrun Smith 686 in 1988.

That was a smart buy. Those are desirable. I had a 2.5" for a while and found it a versatile gun. A 3" would be a real jem.

Anyone here buy the new S&W M2.0 Compact? My wife says Santa Claus might bring me one for Christmas.
I was at the range last weekend and decided to rent the M2.0 Compact 9mm, the G19.5, and the SIG 320. This is how I rank them;
1) M2.0
2) P320
3) G19.5

My shooting buddy bought one after this years Shot Show. I'm impressed with the factory trigger. I've shot it a few times now and it shoots very well. Its bone factory.

Currently I own the S&W M&P FS .40 1.0 & 2.0. I bought a factory SIG.357 barrel and a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for them. As much as I like the FS .40's I like the M2.0 Compact A LOT.
At the range last week, my son rented a M2.0C 9mm, and let me tell you, it puts the G19 to shame!
I have only owned 1 Glock, but had to sell it because I couldn't get used to the grip ergonomics. I have always wanted a G19, but after shooting the M2.0C, the G19 will NEVER be in my stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back