2014 Honda Odyssey Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Was somewhat surprised to get an A123 recommendation at just under 28k on the Odyssey. That means cabin filter, engine air filter, ATF change, and I need to do brake fluid, which isn't a huge deal given that I'm rotating tires.

The engine air filter caught me by surprise, I thought I had another OCI before I had to figure it out.

I could get any parts store (Napa, AZ, AAP, PB) filter today, or an OEM in a few days.

Recommendations??

No idea. I can get Honda OEM from Amazon for $23ish, same as I could get Napa Gold today.

Fram actually makes decent air filters. Look for a Honda Dealership that has a internet storefront in your area. you can usually get a decent price there and pickup at the dealership that day. If you walk-in and ask for one. Bring a pace maker because you will likely get a ridiculous price. I've seen $100 for a Lexus(ahem...toyota) one on my sisters car. Picked up a Fram for ~$20 at walmart. Engine didn't spit it out.
smile.gif

Changing a cabin air filter is a rip off at dealers. Another 2006 xB owner showed me a receipt for the CAF change on his xB for $78. Let's say the filter costs $15/20. It takes less than 5 minutes with no tools to change the filter. As you open the glove box you press in on one side to get past the retaining bump, remove the glove box, pinch the tabs on the CAF holder and slide it out. Reverse the procedure and you're done. Oh, I forgot. You have to open the passenger side door, too. That must have been the reason for markup.

Normally one would expect flowers and a dinner before getting something like this done to you but not with a new car dealer. They have no shame.

I like the Fram air filters as well. They seem to fit very well. In store price at Walmart was around $17 but online price was $10.88 or so. Store did the price match so not bad there. The cabin filter was the same deal, cheaper online. Also around $11 or so. I used Fram for both, the cabin filter was the Fram Freshbreeze. It was double the price at the dealer parts dept even after a 20% coupon. Just check the boxes first at Walmart to make sure someone didn't play switcharoo with the box. I've seen that a few times.

Some of the OE Honda air filters are oiled, I cannot remember if the Odyssey is one of them.

The Brake Fluid is done every 3 years (independent of mileage), but I usually recommend it every 30k. The newest Hondas (2016+) have a separate maintenance minder sub-code for the brake fluid; I think it is sub-item #7.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Was somewhat surprised to get an A123 recommendation at just under 28k on the Odyssey. That means cabin filter, engine air filter, ATF change, and I need to do brake fluid, which isn't a huge deal given that I'm rotating tires.

The engine air filter caught me by surprise, I thought I had another OCI before I had to figure it out.

I could get any parts store (Napa, AZ, AAP, PB) filter today, or an OEM in a few days.

Recommendations??

This is why I use a filter minder, it lets me know when to change the air filter regardless of miles. 90% of the dirt that the(any) fliter will let through will happen in the first 15% to 20% of miles driven. So the longer you use the filter the cleaner the inside of your engine will be. The minder will tell you when the filter loads up with enough dirt, bugs, seeds and all the other stuff I've seen on a filter to cause a restriction. When it gets to 11" out with the old and in with a new one, on my S2000 that was 90k miles.

ROD

I ended up going to Napa as I had to get a belt for my drill press anyway.

For comparison:

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Some of the OE Honda air filters are oiled, I cannot remember if the Odyssey is one of them.

The Brake Fluid is done every 3 years (independent of mileage), but I usually recommend it every 30k. The newest Hondas (2016+) have a separate maintenance minder sub-code for the brake fluid; I think it is sub-item #7.

Not oiled as far as I could tell.

I have OE brake fluid. I ran out of time to rotate tires and do that flush. Darn wintertime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back