First Class or Coach flyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually try for Premium economy for the longer flights, so I have more room, but I fly standby so I have been upgraded a few times on United to the front of the bus. Other times, Im just happy to get on the flight, standby has its up and downs, but the price is amazing.

First class domestically is a joke if it is even available at all. Business class is not all that much better but the benefits that come with it can make a good flight. Southwest has just one class, cattle class. I won’t fly it.

I fly coach internationally. Depending on the airline I can stretch out fine. Aircraft play a big role here. Fly on a twin aisle and choose the middle row, aisle seats. Minimum disturbance and if you are flying with someone, no disturbance from others. Noise canceling headphones are a great idea.

I flew business class to/from China a week ago. Coach on Southwest to Vegas in a few days and then business class to England when I get back.

First/business class is great if you get a pod and can stretch out flat. If it's just a big seat, it's only worth a small increase in price to me. I'm not interested in food on airplanes.

I'm fairly brand agnostic, but American tends to be my usual carrier. Coach on a 3x3 is annoying, though the seat updates do aid with knee room, which is most important to me. I will not pay for extra space or an exit row, though most flights I take give me at least the exit rows free with the status I carry.

I'm maybe 25% successful on upgrades (free). They're marginally useful, as the space and ability to work or nap is much better. Not sure the food/drink is worth it, Ive gotten tired of repetitive menus on domestic first.

Ive flown first class internationally once. Traded in miles to do so. The food was nice, the sleep was better. Id rate coach food and drink on a nice international airline like Turkish Air to be better than a domestic carrier's international first, but Ive certainly not seen it all...

Southwest is about as good as it gets in coach. Never had a bad fight with them and their fares can sometimes be dirt cheap.
Going back more than a decade, American's MRTC was very nice but is something we'll probably never see again.
On longer flights, you have to consider the price difference and what you get for it.
There are times when you can upgrade from coach for a fairly small premium and so it's worth it.
Other times, the price difference is huge and so probably not worth it if you're on your own dime.

Love Southwest for service and free luggage. Tickets are cheap compared to other airlines. My only complaint is I can't always get a window seat.

economy plus on United. Several ways to get it. useful for flights over 5
hours with the extra legroom - pitch is about 33-35". better than some
exit rows because of the seat comfort.

It depends. As has been stated, not all carriers are created equal. And not all routes utilize nicer planes/ carriers. For clients that want my services, I stipulate the minimum accommodation that is acceptable. I have so many miles accumulated, that for personal trips I use those.

Tomorrow’s flight plan:

1E for long TranPac
1E for heading east

Home for turkey and thankful for that …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
If it's over 8 hours, business class is the only way to go!

I get by in coach on 10-12 hour flights by taking a couple of pain pills with the first meal.

The thing I don't like about American Airlines is that the flight attendants look weathered and always grumpy.

Delta has the best looking flight attendants, so does Lufthansa.

The best looking flight attendants are found on the regionals, since they are younger.
The current FAs on the legacy majors have survived rounds of downsizing and bankruptcy, so they tend to be older.
Southwest has the most diverse group of FAs. I've talked to retired Marines who were FAs on Southwest flights.
Can't get better than that should anything bad happen and should the FAs have to do their real job, which isn't bringing drinks to you and me.
I'll take a trained hard man over a pretty little thing any day of the week in directing an evacuation.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The thing I don't like about American Airlines is that the flight attendants look weathered and always grumpy.

Delta has the best looking flight attendants, so does Lufthansa.

As long as they keep bringing me alcohol, I don't care what they look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back