Recommendation when to change oil for g37 coupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I've had my 2013 G37 coupe for 1/2 a year so far. I drive 5 miles to work and back five days a week. I'll probably tack on less than 4-5k miles/year! My car manual says:

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions), every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first
Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of these conditions:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long distances
Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
Towing a trailer, or using a camper or car-top

SCHEDULE 2 (less severe operating conditions), every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first
Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile service intervals; with Schedule 2 fewer maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with Schedule 1.

Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed in Schedule 1.

I've been following schedule 1. Would three months be way too often to change oil in your opinion? Right now I take it to an Infiniti dealer and use regular oil. Would switching to synthetic and waiting on an oil change a little longer be more beneficial? I just want to take the right steps on protecting the longevity of my vehicle.

Thanks for any info!

Without consideration of the warranty (if any is left), it sounds like your car would be a good candidate for once-a-year OCI with a good quality synthetic.

Use a full synthetic that meets your vehicle's specs and change it annually. Doing the math, changing every 3 months is about every 1,200 miles and all you're doing is lining the dealer's pockets.

Take the car for a drive once a month - get on the interstate, out on a country road, doesn't matter. It'll limber up the car and let you enjoy it at the same time. Seafoam with a full tank of gas once a year, at least 89 octane the rest of the time.

I have a 2011 G37 (sedan) with a whopping 25K miles on it, so I feel you!

Ive been using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 with a Fram ULTRA filter and I change it twice a year. Im almost positive I could stretch it to once a year, but I prefer to have fresh stuff in place for the extremes (summer and winter). Ill change it around May and then around November.

Ive never done UOAs to confirm, I might start and see if I really should just do once a year, but the oil and filters were cheap enough that I dont mind doing the job twice a year.

Hmm, I'm too much of a newbie to "multi-quote" but thanks everyone! I'm going to look into your advice and pick out which one will be more ideal. I figured I would have been going a little too often.

The VQ37 is a pretty high-strung engine and your driving habits aren't exactly "easy" on oil.

I would just change it once a year with whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. I do agree with the above advice of getting it out on the highway every once in a while to burn off moisture in the sump.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Without consideration of the warranty (if any is left), it sounds like your car would be a good candidate for once-a-year OCI with a good quality synthetic.

+1. See if you can get a Fram Ultra oil filter for your application.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The VQ37 is a pretty high-strung engine and your driving habits aren't exactly "easy" on oil.

I would just change it once a year with whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. I do agree with the above advice of getting it out on the highway every once in a while to burn off moisture in the sump.

Agreed. My VQ35 engine also is supposed to be tough on motor oil. It gets more long distance driving than yours, but I average oil changes every 4,500 miles using a synthetic blend. It's got 103K miles and runs clean with almost no oil consumption.

welcome2.gif

Castrol Edge 0w30 is very popular in these engines. Pep Boys carries it and is having a good promo on it for Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back