VW dealer oil filter install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I had to remove the plastic shield under my Golf because I needed to access my transmission pan and drain bolt. I decided I was going to do an oil/filter change. I've never personally changed out the filter myself on this car. I've always had the dealer change out the filter yearly when they did yearly state inspection. They would add the oil I brought it. (Then 6 mo. later I would change the oil myself but not change the oil filter.) Well...no longer! The oil filter canister was on so tight it was ridiculous. I thought for sure was cracked or would crack. It turned out the top o-ring was not installed! I would have thought this would be properly done! I'll be doing my own filter/oil changes from now on.

Dealer, independent shop, quick lane - it doesn't matter who it is, I'm checking everything soon after someone else has changed my oil.

But the last time that happened was 4 years ago, with the single free OC I got from the dealer where I bought my Cruze, so it kinda doesn't apply in the first place.

Last edited:
I am thinking of purchasing the plastic oil filter cover , for our 1.8l Chevy Sonic , as a precaution . In case I mess it up .

And I can tell you the Sonic seeps oil down on the exhaust system if you are in a hurry or lazy about replacing the o-ring on the filter cover .

Maybe , not the first time , but it can happen . Sooner or later . They include a new o-ring with each new filter , for a reason .

Best of luck to you , :)

“If you want the job done right, do it yourself.”

Old adage that holds true today. It seems so many people have no pride in their work today. So much is done half-arsed or “that’s good enough.” “I wonder what this little black rubber ring is for?

I can't believe how stupid some people are in the auto industry. Ive worked on FCAs,GMs,KIAs, VWs, Volvos. Pretty much anything that ever came with a cartridge filter, and have NEVER forgot to put on the O ring. I'm 18, work at Walmart, and if I can do it, they can do it. WORK ON YOUR OWN STUFF PEOPLE.

Top O-ring? The 2.5 only had one on the housing itself. People do tend to install them way too tight. I always used a torque wrench on mine and had the appropriate Hazet 2169 oil filter tool.

Your 2.5 should only have the one big o-ring seal

I've also noticed that the housings come off and go on way differently too.

I torque mine, but sometimes coming off there's still that delicate moment where you think it's about to break.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“If you want the job done right, do it yourself.”

Old adage that holds true today. It seems so many people have no pride in their work today. So much is done half-arsed or “that’s good enough.” “I wonder what this little black rubber ring is for?

Yep

Sorry if my terminology is not correct. There's a seal inside the canister which you replace each time. (O.K that was there.) The oil filter comes w/two seals/rings/o-rings, whatever the're called. Then there's the seal/o-ring which goes on the threads on the oil filter housing. This is what was missing. So plastic to plastic contact on the top. There should been that seal on top.

Oh boy....I may be wrong. There may only be the o-ring used inside the canister? But, the oil filter includes two o-rings. I assumed the other one goes the threads of the housing where the oil filter gets screwed into. Why would they included 2 large o-rings? Different applications perhaps. I put the second o-ring on the housing. Now there's plastic to gasket connect on top (Besides the contact inside.) Never done this before and there were no instructions. If I did this wrong please let me know. It just seems logical two seals would be better.

A picture would help. Probably too late now.

Normally if more than one large gasket is included with a cartridge it is for another, different application. If memory serves there is only one large gasket that goes into the plastic cap on the 2.5.

In any case, if it isn't leaking it's fine.

Thank-you for the picture. I just assumed the another o-ring would housing threads so there would be canister/o-ring/housing contact on top. Just seemed logical. I'm learning. Thanks for all.

I will definitely keep an eye out for any leaks. My apologies to VW if only one gasket is used but it was torqued WAY too tightly. I just barely got it off!

Finally post....Only one o-ring used inside the canister. My apologies to all.
I did have an oil leak by using the extra o-ring that came w/the filter on top of the housing threads. I thing I did find out though...it's VERY easy to push up and over the oil seal under the small cap w/just your finger. Now that I know the procedure I'll be saving some $ by doing it myself. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back