Top Gear take on Engine Oil / OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin2.gif
My unlimited internet package always hard at work. Also because I like watching the lights blink on my switch.
lol.gif

Stevie, no offence buddy, but did you even watch the bloody video yourself??? How is that Top Gear? Literally the first two seconds of the video show FIFTH GEAR Logo.
33.gif

Thanks for sharing though. I remember this vid from some time ago. Cool to see it again.

The site the video was on quoted it as Top-Gear so I used that in the title. I realized after it wasn't Top-Gear but I can't change the title now... Sorry about that.
thumbsup2.gif

Just surmising, but I'm getting the impression the title of the video alone is preaching to the choir.
27.gif

There are multiple technological errors in that video.

Do not use this for educational purposes where accuracy about factual info is vital.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Do not use this for educational purposes where accuracy about factual info is vital.

Yup. Mix of good and bad info -- mostly good, but enough bad to be significant.

I'm sure the people at the lab were yelling at their TVs when they saw the finished result!

Seen it before...a half second quicker on new oil, and new oil alone...imagine what that would do for CAFE credits.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Seen it before...a half second quicker on new oil, and new oil alone...imagine what that would do for CAFE credits.

More specifically, thinner oil makes your car slower. You heard it here first.

I'd quite like that to be true, though it would upset A LOT of people.

Sadly, though I havn't seen many 5th Gear "tests" all the other ones I can remember seeing have been utter bollocks, too.

Last edited:
While I know it would be impossible to address everyone's psychological nuances in a mass distributed video, I'd still include something like:

"Listen you imbeciles, nobody likes to pay any bill and many of you think every mechanic is a dishonest thief but that doesn't give you license to neglect your car.
Even if you're uncomfortable with this you should develop an appreciation for dirty vs. clean."

Obviously this doesn't apply to BITOGers.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
10,000 miles before oil / filter change !

It's Europe so they are using long life oil and they have much better fuel quality.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yup. Mix of good and bad info -- mostly good, but enough bad to be significant.

I'm sure the people at the lab were yelling at their TVs when they saw the finished result!

For sure.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

More specifically, thinner oil makes your car slower. You heard it here first.

I'd quite like that to be true, though it would upset A LOT of people.

Sadly, though I havn't seen many 5th Gear "tests" all the other ones I can remember seeing have been utter bollocks, too.

Yeah this is complete nonsense.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the OLDer Lube must have been not as slippery as the new fluid. Plus it carries all the contaminants from 10k miles of use and probably flows a bit slowed then new.

OR, the chick shifted better, launched better and the engine made 5 extra HP from fresh fluid.

This is the 2nd time today I've seen this video as it was posted on an MB forum to support frequent oil changes.

I described the video as "very pretty pseudo science". Who knows how they staged the claimed performance advantage of new oil but in the absence of any mechanism being explained it has to be nonsense. You would expect the lower viscosity used oil to be quicker by some very small margin.

For me they even miss the main point of demonstrating you need to change the oil frequently as in fact the viscosity given for the used oil showed it to be still within grade. They should have worried if the oil had passed the point where it started to increase in viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back