Ruined engine from neglect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother-in-law stopped by this evening with a knocking engine in his ‘13 Honda Insight. I checked the stick and it was bone dry.

So, I drove him up to get some oil and we crossed our fingers. But, of course, to no avail, it is still knocking. It was 3 qts low on a 3.5 qt sump... Looks like he’ll be getting some engine work done soon. Only 90K miles and he just paid it off to boot.

I asked him how long the check engine light has been on and he admitted to 3 full weeks. A life lesson for the young man and likely an expensive one at that.

Any of you have vehicle neglecters in the family?

Neighbours girl friend recently did the same thing with her car. Forgot to change the oil 30,000km later it had a really nice knock and was 2 liters of oil low. Ended up putting some heavy oil in it to quiet it down and traded it at a dealer and bought a new car.

Nope we
spankme2.gif
Till they learn

Not really in my family, people hang onto their vehicles for awhile. Have had neighbors that absolutely trash perfectly good vehicles though.

What confounds me is people like that are able to make a perfectly good living and pay taxes like they're supposed to.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What confounds me is people like that are able to make a perfectly good living and pay taxes like they're supposed to.

I often wonder who ties their shoelaces in the morning.
lol.gif

Last edited:
They do great on music and dating and art, but they are not gearheads and they have no insight on how things work. They will always be paying for work and needing it too ...
frown.gif

My mom is kind of like that, I've got her trained a little now. She nursed a Buick Rendezvous for a few years, drug it through heck and back. She gave it just enough attention for it to keep on limping with blown suspension, a blown head gasket, and countless other issues.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Doesn't the red oil light mean to take the car to the dealer for service and soon as its convenient?

Or it's a tea-pot like my aunt thinks. Hers came on so she put water in the teapot cap under the hood. Seized the engine on her Concord.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Doesn't the red oil light mean to take the car to the dealer for service and soon as its convenient?

Or it's a tea-pot like my aunt thinks. Hers came on so she put water in the teapot cap under the hood. Seized the engine on her Concord.
33.gif

You've gotta be kidding me...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
No I'm serious... My aunt in Ottawa. I don't see her that often because of the 300 miles in between.

Are we talking an AMC Concord?

I'm not that old.
lol.gif
It was a Chrysler Concord.

She is hard on her vehicles and a poster-child for CarFax / Carproof or whatever.

You can not fix stupid !

Training is sometime possible . To some extent . If it involves bodily pain .

Best of luck to you all , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
You can not fix stupid ! Training is sometime possible . To some extent . If it involves bodily pain .

Or a serious reduction in wallet/purse contents. (present and future $$$)

I don't get why people won't check oil - it's not so hard to do.

Or a serious reduction in wallet/purse contents. (present and future $$$)

That is only some times true , often with repeated application of the treatment .

Thanks , :)

I don't get why people won't check oil - it's not so hard to do.

Too difficult to see a dip stick , when your head is in a dark place . :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back