A Bat In The House

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching TV in the dark last night, and heard something flying into the window screen behind me.

Ten seconds later, a bat flies overhead. Swearing and panic ensued.

I went into another room and waited for it to stop flying around. When I came back, I couldn't find it. It appeared once more when I was looking behind a curtain. Myself, being the big baby I am when it comes to flying animals, retreated to an upstairs bedroom while the bat darted around downstairs during the night.

This morning, I went downstairs and could NOT find the bat. I cleaned the entire downstairs, checked behind and under furniture, curtains, appliances, etc. and found nothing.

Yesterday, I was cooking a pot roast and had the oven fan on for four hours. I noticed a pretty big gap where my gas insert fireplce's fuel line runs into the family room. My guess is that the fume hood created an air current through the chimney, and the bat followed it and got in.

Do bats leave on their own? I didn't have any windows open yesterday, last night or today. I looked everywhere and couldn't find the stupid thing. Just to be sure though, I have a pest control company coming next week because I can hear some kind of rodent or animal rustling around in the attic and in the walls.

Gotta love 130+ year old houses.

You sure it didn't jump into the pot roast when the lid was off and your head was turned???

Bats are greasy, take the leftovers out of the fridge.

If there is any white/cream colored fat on the top of the food, you cooked the bat.

Last edited:
he's still there
39.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
You sure it didn't jump into the pot roast when the lid was off and your head was turned???

Positive.

We had one in in our house when I was a kid took my mother to take the bat down with a pillow, anyway them things can come thru the space of a window ,do you have the old wooden window sashes? Just a thought

I am a fairly good bat expert having studied and been around them. They leave every night for insects. They hibernate in the winter waking up every 6 weeks if I remember correctly to find water. There are colony bats and solitary bats, you probably have a solitary bat. Find the openings and seal them after dusk however as it's getting closer to hibernation time, it may die not having a home.

I had these annoying black flies and ladybugs flying around for the longest time in this house. I noticed they're all gone now.

Thanks, bat.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I am a fairly good bat expert having studied and been around them. They leave every night for insects. They hibernate in the winter waking up every 6 weeks if I remember correctly to find water. There are colony bats and solitary bats, you probably have a solitary bat. Find the openings and seal them after dusk however as it's getting closer to hibernation time, it may die not having a home.
Say the bat stays in for the evening then you could seal him in...Smoke him out best way you and a few card players have a poker game, a few beers, a few cigars, noise and all is well ...even if he was there you wouldnt care
beer3.gif

I can laugh but I hate bats, good luck getting rid of yours...

Some disease is wiping out bats in the east. The brown bat is a timid little insectivore. It hopefully made it out. If not, don't have a cow. Open some doors and windows and chase it out. They used to get in around a chimney flashing that sheds water at my house. My drama queen daughter went hysterical because it made its way out the attic through a ceiling fan. Save the bat!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I went into another room and waited for it to stop flying around. When I came back, I couldn't find it. It appeared once more when I was looking behind a curtain. Myself, being the big baby I am when it comes to flying animals, retreated to an upstairs bedroom while the bat darted around downstairs during the night.

LMAO!!
crackmeup2.gif

Open all the windows and doors and play Ozzy Osbourne really loud. He'll be outta there quick!

You can't make this up!

Lying in bed, listening to a podcast with my nightstand lamp on. All of a sudden, I hear this noise outside my door. Sounds like the house shifting in the wind.

30 seconds later, this bat comes UNDERNEATH THE DOOR and flies straight at me. I've never been so panicked in my entire life. I threw my comforter over my head, swearing and yelling the entire time, and ran the [censored] out of the room while slamming the door. Of course my cell phone, macbook, car keys, and everything else is in that bedroom.

This is ridiculous. I called the local sheriff's non-emergency number, who basically said the animal control is for dogs only and not bats. I told the guy the entire story and he started laughing, but can't really send someone over for a bat.

Time to move, this is nuts.

Get a broom and start swinging!

Wait. Aren't you the guy who posted on here about mice in your bed?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Some disease is wiping out bats in the east.

I think it's actually a fungus.

One of our grandsons thinks bats are cool, so our daughter signed us up for a short seminar by the founder of the Organization for Bat Conservation. It was interesting to learn they're very beneficial to our ecosystem for eating insects as well as pollination among other things. They're also in trouble, similar to what I hear about dwindling bee populations.

If it were me, I'd try to remove the bat unharmed. Although if it became a real issue with the wife and he was being stubborn, it'd be his unfortunate demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back