Getting a used 2013 Ford Edge (3.5), need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So next month I am receiving my dads 2013 Edge with the 3.5 Duratec with twin VCT. The car has 50,000 miles on it, and for its whole life, it has had a conventional oil and filter change whenever the oil life monitor said so. I know with the tiny oil passages in the VCT parts, its better to keep it clean and use a good oil to prevent buildup. In my garage I have some Motor Medic Synthetic engine flush. (Says safe for all engines, diesel or gas, turbo or NA) Its a 5 minute idle flush before a drain. Is this a good idea to clean up the motor before I switch over to a full syn oil?

I have 6 quarts of Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20, and a purolator BOSS filter for this car. What is the general consensus about this engine oil and the boss filters?

Thanks a ton!

I've got a 2015 Explorer with the 3.5 TiVCT engine like yours. I run it on Chevron Supreme 5w20 and it works great. It's not a highly stressed engine and it has a 6 quart sump, and that gives it plenty of capacity to go the full distance on the OLM.

The most important part of this engine to protect with regular oil changes is actually the timing chain. It's long and it runs the enclosed water pump, so staying with the recommended oil and change interval is important. That said, it won't need to be over-serviced either. You Castrol will work fine. The filter I'm not familiar with - I use Motorcraft filters from the dealer.

Did the oil and filter your Dad use , pass the Ford spec for this car ? If so , I would just switch to which ever quality oil & filter you prefer .

Our little Chevy Sonic is spec Dexos . I have always used Dexos spec synthetic and good filter , at 55% and 5% Oil Life Indicator .

So being old school , I change oil twice as often as GM is indicating . So , I would encourage frequent OCI . Purchase your oil & filters on sale . Cheap insurance .

Best of all to you , :)

I would stay away from the flush. You could loosen up deposits that might cause trouble down the line. A better idea would be to run your Castrol Gold bottle right off and change it on a regular schedule. ( 5k or 7k) depending on your driving scenario. If more city than highway then go 5k. If mostly highway then 7k.

The general consensus of Purolator Boss filters is that taking into account all their manufacturing defects, they are a risk to the vitality of your engine at worse and grossly overpriced at best.

I work at an auto parts store so I can buy another filter. What filter would you recommend for it? Is the FL-500S good enough for full syn oils? And how do they compare filtration wise to the BOSS?

So no on the motor flush? I was under the assumption its "safe for every oil change" like it says on the bottle.

"safe for every oil change" ?

Is that kind of like , " I will respect you in the morning " ?

Oil / filters are cheap , engines are expensive .

Best to you , :)

If the engine is performing normally then I wouldn't use the flush. If you want to do anything do a couple of short changes with a quality synthetic and let it do a clean-up job of anything in the engine from the conventional.

Although with that engine it shouldn't need it.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Follow these directions, carefully.

1. Drive the car for 14 miles, 50/50 city highway driving

2. During this drive do not let the RPMs rise above 3,700 RPMs

3. Upon returning, pull the car up on Rhino Ramps

4. Pop the hood and drain the oil into a drain pan, discard the filter

5. Replace with the recommended owner's manual viscosity oil and a new filter

6. Go get that bottle of engine flush

7. Take it and toss it in the trash

Just the fact that you know the history of the vehicle puts you light years ahead of anyone that buys a used vehicle. The engine is still fairly young and Ford’s OLM is pretty good. Just put a good oil and filter on it and be happy.

Originally Posted By: AntDeek
Hey guys,

So next month I am receiving my dads 2013 Edge with the 3.5 Duratec with twin VCT. The car has 50,000 miles on it, and for its whole life, it has had a conventional oil and filter change whenever the oil life monitor said so. I know with the tiny oil passages in the VCT parts, its better to keep it clean and use a good oil to prevent buildup. In my garage I have some Motor Medic Synthetic engine flush. (Says safe for all engines, diesel or gas, turbo or NA) Its a 5 minute idle flush before a drain. Is this a good idea to clean up the motor before I switch over to a full syn oil?

I have 6 quarts of Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20, and a purolator BOSS filter for this car. What is the general consensus about this engine oil and the boss filters?

Thanks a ton!

I have a 2009 Linclon MKX. I believe it has the same engine. Mine uses the same filter too. I have been finding Groupon from local service shops and dealerships for $25 oil changes. But will also do my own in warmer months. Any decent 5W-20 synthetic or synthetic blend, or even a quality conventional oil like Mobil or Chevron along with a Ford or NAPA or Wix filter and you are good to go for 5000 OCI. Mine is at 62K just now. I'm going to do a transmission drain and fill with Super Tech Mercon V and a cooling system flush in the next month.

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my 2014 Explorer. I run M1 AFE 0W-20 and FRAM Ultra XG10575 filters for 10K miles with zero issues. The iOLM is usually in the 6-10% range at that point.

Regarding the engine flush, I would ask if you know the engine is dirty or is this a preventative maintenance thing? I would skip the flush, switch to any synthetic and listen to the iOLM.

I'm in the process of trading in my 2009 edge with 158,700 on the clock. I have used Amsoil 0W-20 since I got it with 5500 miles on it in 2009. It also has a bypass filtration system on it,which will come off before I trade it. Replacing it with a used 2017 Edge with 16'000 dealer certified. I will use Amsoil in it for the rest of its life. It amazes me that some people will spend a lot of money buying a car and then look for the cheapest oil they can find to use in it.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
I'm in the process of trading in my 2009 edge with 158,700 on the clock. I have used Amsoil 0W-20 since I got it with 5500 miles on it in 2009. It also has a bypass filtration system on it,which will come off before I trade it. Replacing it with a used 2017 Edge with 16'000 dealer certified. I will use Amsoil in it for the rest of its life. It amazes me that some people will spend a lot of money buying a car and then look for the cheapest oil they can find to use in it.

Fact is you could use Walmart Super Tech conventional and you would be fine. You want to spend your money on more expensive oil when its not called for or needed...go for it.

Last edited:
Can anyone else confirm the purolator BOSS is inferior to the FL500S?

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge

Assuming you will indeed keep your Edge until it is destined for the junkyard, then I suppose it *may* make sense to pamper the vehicle a little bit.

Fact is, you can cheap out on the oil (as long as it meets spec) and the car will still last as long as a vehicle that is fed Amsoil it’s entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back