Check your credit card/bank statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fraudulent charge to my debit card from a company called Archico Biz for $1.49. Called the bank got a new card and Visa refunded my money. Got a letter today from Equifax stating the hack they had exposed my debit card since I had used it to place a credit freeze. I thought my card was skimmed at a gas pump or something, but nope it was from the Equifax hack.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Had a fraudulent charge to my debit card from a company called Archico Biz for $1.49. Called the bank got a new card and Visa refunded my money. Got a letter today from Equifax stating the hack they had exposed my debit card since I had used it to place a credit freeze. I thought my card was skimmed at a gas pump or something, but nope it was from the Equifax hack.

That was a test hit. If undetected, the mayhem commences!
The common thief has become a fairly sophisticated scoundrel.

I had a $1 Euro charge on my personal VISA. Canceled card. Just got my card yesterday. My gripe is that my bank charges $25 for overnighting your card or free shipping in 7-10 days. Really chaps me.

One thing I did learn, it works out alot better if you have them ship your new cards to your local bank. Most of us have jobs and can't wait at home all day to sign off on the FedEx delivery. They can ship to a bank and you can go in and pick it up there. Next time I will remember that.

This is my 4th new issue. 2 times each on my work and personal Visa.

I check online daily my credit cards and bank account. Everything posts right away on both now, even pending charges. It's great. I know way before the statement.

I had it happen on my check card a couple months ago. Luckily I noticed right away since I check my account every day. They only got $40, I think that was the "test". I just had to stop by my credit union and sign an affidavit saying that was unauthorized activity on my account. They made me a new card on the spot and the money was back in my account the next morning.

I have never signed for a replacement credit card.
They just mail them regular mail. Really I think you all bite into all that scare about identity theft.
Never use a ATM card always a credit card. Check your statements and report any charges. It's just that easy.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

That was a test hit. If undetected, the mayhem commences!
The common thief has become a fairly sophisticated scoundrel.

This exactly. Had that happen years ago on a Mastercard. First fraudulent purchase was for about $1.35 in my home city Toronto Canada, the second in the same hour was over $180. in Great Britian the card company automatically locked my card.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
My gripe is that my bank charges $25 for overnighting your card or free shipping in 7-10 days.

Why would you pay for that?

I had a $1 Euro charge on my personal VISA. Canceled card. Just got my card yesterday. My gripe is that my bank charges $25 for overnighting your card or free shipping in 7-10 days. Really chaps me.

One thing I did learn, it works out alot better if you have them ship your new cards to your local bank. Most of us have jobs and can't wait at home all day to sign off on the FedEx delivery. They can ship to a bank and you can go in and pick it up there. Next time I will remember that.

My card was comprised and was cancelled.
I went to the bank the same day and they gave me a new card.
It was TCF bank.

Doesn't bother me. I have at least 4-5 cards that I can use although I just normally carry 2 credit cards and a couple of debit cards. I don't use the debit cards for charges. If I lose one credit card or it gets compromised, I switch to the other one. No big deal waiting for a replacement in the regular mail. Oh I also have a free American express gold card which I hardy ever use, Fidelity gave me that one so I guess it's another emergency card. With all the promos they offer on opening a new card, there's no excuse not to have an extra or spare if something happens.

I should check more often, but I only check my bank account once every 3-4 weeks. Laziness I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back