Should I use 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason you are wanting to use a 10W-30 over the 20W-50? If I remember right, you're car is burning a lot of oil as it is and I don't think any weight/viscosity/brand/etc will fix it.

No. The engine is already stretched out from all those years of 20W-50.
If you go with 10W-30 now, you're not going to have any oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No. The engine is already stretched out from all those years of 20W-50.

Good point. I would recommend only Maxlife 20w50 at this point

10W30 won't harm your engine at all. But, you might want to use a 10W40 before trying the 10W30.
I have built a few engines that I have switched from 20W50 to 5W30, 5W40, and sometimes just straight 30 weight. And, the oil pressure is always good no matter which oil wt. I use.

LOL Emanuel you've been beating this to death for nearly a month now. I think its about ran out of mileage. Pull a new car under that oil fill cap!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
LOL Emanuel you've been beating this to death for nearly a month now. I think its about ran out of mileage. Pull a new car under that oil fill cap!

Now this makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: Emanuel
I have a 286k miles 01 Corolla, it has used 20w50 oil its entire life. Can I use a 10w30 oil after so many years of thick oil?

You can use whatever grade you want but you might see higher consumption going down to a 10W-30.
If this little guy has done 286K on 20W-50, then why would you want to change now?
You've nearly doubled the design life of this car, so you must have been doing something right in your oil grade selection.

And....The engine will blow up ?

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Do engines blow up when they run out of oil pressure ? I would think they come to a very quiet stop.

Do engines blow up when they run out of oil pressure ? I would think they come to a very quiet stop.

I have seen Chevy engines run with 2 psi of oil pressure. These engines are candidates for a MELLING HV oil pump and KENDALL NITRO 70 wt. oil.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I never knew oil could stretch an engine out.

Some fluids are incompressible; motor oil is one of them. If you go and force it through a clearance and the clearance puts up enough resistance because it's so tight, that clearance is going to get expanded because motor oil is a ruthless hombre.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I never knew oil could stretch an engine out.

On Bitog, it does.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Emanuel
I have a 286k miles 01 Corolla, it has used 20w50 oil its entire life. Can I use a 10w30 oil after so many years of thick oil?

Stay on course maybe get another ?k out of it,
21.gif
doubt 10w30 well hurt probably get better gas mileage ,depends if your oil pump can keep up for all the worn spaces... jmho

Oil pressure on a new vehicle is going to be higher than it will be with 300k miles because the new parts create pressure or resistance for the oil to flow. A lower pressure on a 300k motor doesn't mean the oil isn't flowing as much as it did when new. If the vehicles pressure was 40 psi when new and is 35 psi now it's probably due to wear but is still acceptable.

Did you pick up some sale/clearance 10w30 somewhere?

Is it usIng oil with 20w50 ? If so dont go down in viscocity or it will use more. No magc tonic mixed with it (except STP) will help with that. Stp is primarily an oil thickener by the way. No magic there.

If no oil consumption issues 10w30 should be fine

Look where he's from...A good running car may be hard to come by, I hope he finds a good one cause he is trying hard to make that car run as long as he can...

Originally Posted By: SwampRabbit

I have seen Chevy engines run with 2 psi of oil pressure. These engines are candidates for a MELLING HV oil pump and KENDALL NITRO 70 wt. oil.

The old school American V-8's did not have to have a lot of oil pressure , when idling . Pressure usually rose at road speed . So , though worn , the engine ran OK , for some time longer .

Do not know about more recent Asian cars / engines ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back