Since the weather was nice I decided to change oil and filter.
Out: Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 and Purolator PL24651.
In: NAPA Full Synthetic 5W30 and Fram TG2
Manufacture and Mfg. PN: Purolator PL24651
Date Code: F02G04G2
F = Fayetteville, NC
Febr 4, 2015
Line = G
Shift = 2
Duration miles: 2827
Duration days: 56
1. The filter lost anti drain back valve function before 2827 miles yet the ADBV is in excellent shape.
2. The ADBV did not have any cuts or tears and was very soft and pliable.
3. The filter media did not have any holes or tears.
4. Wide pleat spaces were observed near the media seam.
5. Filter completed it's mission but with no ADBV function.
6. This is the second PL24651 I have used that lost ADBV function before 3000 miles.
7. While the gasket is nice, I did not buy the filter for the gasket.
ADBV surface facing filter core
ADBV surface facing base plate
Media best view
Media worst view. Note the piece of epoxy pealing off the end cap.
View inside can with some oil. Note: another piece of epoxy that had been caught. The little flecks are corrosion on the inside of the can. The clouds are simple reflections of the sky.
View of the bypass valve. Purolator Date Code Table is here
Enjoy the photos and let the discussion begin.