Nikola Semi-Truck 1000HP with 1200 Mile Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
New competition for Tesla. They're even building their own filling stations across the United States.

Fast forward to 32:35 to see the truck.

If it catches on and becomes common enough, I'm sure the OTR truckers will sleep better at truck stops. I stopped by a TA travel station this past summer around 11PM on a summer night and about 75% of the trucks were idling to keep the AC going. Didn't realize it was so loud...

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
What truckers? What sleep? What AC? Everything is going to be autonomous pretty soon.

Fore sure... but How soon? Everything by 2030?

Jobs are going to be more and more scarce as machines take over.

Nikola and Tesla should merge.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What truckers? What sleep? What AC? Everything is going to be autonomous pretty soon.

Fore sure... but How soon? Everything by 2030?

Jobs are going to be more and more scarce as machines take over.

People are going to be more scarce, as *Skynet takes over..

*slightly tongue in cheek

I need to get proficient in computer animation software.
My truck will then offer 1500 bhp, 1500 miles of range and charging stations at every interstate exit.
All this with a 2 MM mile guarantee of performance.
I wonder how much investment I could attract claiming these specs with a good looking website?

I don't know man, I'm fine with Tesla but Nikola...? They couldn't come up with something more original?
33.gif

I'm sure with a big enough battery, any of these electric trucks can go 2,000 - 1,000,000 miles in rage if they wanted too. Hahaha. I don't know what the big deal is with this whole Range War. Seems silly.

Oh you got 1,000 batteries on board? I've got 1,001. Hahahaha.

Yeah right. You're welcome to come back to the real world anytime.

What are there, 2.5 million truck drivers on the road? Is the robot going to pay into Social Security, Federal income, state and local wage taxes or is that burden going to be put on with more burden to the shrinking working base?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
What are there, 2.5 million truck drivers on the road? Is the robot going to pay into Social Security, Federal income, state and local wage taxes or is that burden going to be put on with more burden to the shrinking working base?

It is estimated that trucking automation will put 300,000 drivers a year out of work-when it starts to be implemented.

If you have 5 to ten years left before retirement-you might eek it out. Otherwise-it's time to go back to school and be retrained.

Sorry-life does not guarantee your job-or even occupation will stay the same during your working career.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: every buggy whip maker who heard about Henry Ford
Yeah right. You're welcome to come back to the real world anytime.

Originally Posted By: CKN

It is estimated that trucking automation will put 300,000 drivers a year out of work-when it starts to be implemented.

If you have 5 to ten years left before retirement-you might eek it out. Otherwise-it's time to go back to school and be retrained.

Sorry-life does not guarantee your job-or even occupation will stay the same during your working career.

With 10 billion people in a future world, what would that world need a self driving truck for? Not enough people to drive them? Hydrogen goes boom way too easily.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: CKN

With 10 billion people in a future world, what would that world need a self driving truck for? Not enough people to drive them? Hydrogen goes boom way too easily.
laugh.gif

Incoherent post of the day......

I have to wonder if "driverless" trucks might be more possible than one thinks. Think of a convey going down a highway. I don't know how much traffic there is going from one warehouse to another; but if you could have one person in the lead truck, then all the trucks behind can be programmed to tailgate the heck out of each other, using vehicle to vehicle communication to indicate when braking is occurring.

Heck, that doesn't have to be all trucks for the same company. Lead guy has to stay awake, and the rest can nod off for a bit, before they trade places.

Anyhow...

I still find it hard to believe it can be run with a single gear ratio, but I guess trains do that, so it shouldn't be surprising. But I still do.
wink.gif
I do know that trains do switch from series connections of the motors to parallel, once the back emf starts to rise (above a certain speed). Wonder if they do similar tricks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back