Do you need noise to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used a noise machine in the past and have used a fan for decades. Silence is not an option!

Yes. Im so used to sleeping with my computer and window A/C running when they shut off due to a power outage it actually wakes me up instantly. Quicker than my alarm, thats for sure.
I have developed a fairly minor, but noticeable case of tinnitus in the past couple years and so it helps cover that up as well.

Never extra noise, I like to hear the babies if they are crying,coughing, vomiting etc.

What happens when traveling and you forgot your noise maker? Can't sleep?

Last edited:
I can sleep anywhere, even at rock concerts. I like white noise at night, I prefer a fan or other device to make noise while I sleep. I even have an iPad app that sounds like a fan for 10 hours. Works great. Quite simply the white noise masks other sounds that otherwise might get my attention.

However, I don't need the noise to sleep. I sleep just fine at quiet hotels. I travel regularly and have experienced nearly every situation.

Only once was I not able to sleep at a hotel. They were using a hammer drill to perform an elevator shaft repair. It resonated loudly in my room and it was infuriating. I think the repair crew was adjacent to my room.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Never extra noise, I like to hear the babies if they are crying,coughing, vomiting etc.

What happens when traveling and you forgot your noise maker? Can't sleep?

Usually hotel room air units make noise. If at a person's house I ask for a fan.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

>not sleeping with your child and providing the comfort and warmth only a parent can provide

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Usually hotel room air units make noise. If at a person's house I ask for a fan.

This. I just set the unit to run the fan always instead of only when needed.

I started using a fan after working swing shifts. One bird singing wake-up music outside your window after 3rd shift can ruin your sleep pattern for the rest of the day.

Hah, sleep what the heck is that? I need to have it perfectly dark and quiet. I've gone as far as putting window tint on my alarm and other electronics to block out the LED glare. Still never sleep. It's especially bad during the weekdays because we work out of town and our company requires us to double up. Most times I'm with a guy that has to have the TV on and snores loud enough to wake a city block. I'll put the HVAC unit on constant fan if I can, but it still ain't enough. The other guy has to have an overhead light on. Needless to say I don't sleep during the week.

It does help. I used to use a fan to sleep, but now I just put the TV on Netflix on Family Guy and fall asleep, don't watch it that much just fall asleep. Once the sleep timer goes out it's silent and I sleep throughout the night.

I work at a resort and some people bring their own fans with them. I joke with them "Is this for airflow or the noise?" I'd say about 90% say "Noise! Can't sleep without it!"

Originally Posted By: Delta
Hah, sleep what the heck is that? I need to have it perfectly dark and quiet. I've gone as far as putting window tint on my alarm and other electronics to block out the LED glare. Still never sleep. It's especially bad during the weekdays because we work out of town and our company requires us to double up. Most times I'm with a guy that has to have the TV on and snores loud enough to wake a city block. I'll put the HVAC unit on constant fan if I can, but it still ain't enough. The other guy has to have an overhead light on. Needless to say I don't sleep during the week.

That is the one thing that will keep me up, is excessive light. I still have my window cardboarded off from when I worked night shift 1730-0400 (usually 0530 more often than not)
My computer had the stupid bright [censored] blue leds for the power and hdd lights. It was like a flashlight beam on the wall opposite it was so ridiculously bright.
I unplugged it for the first few years until I actually took the front of it apart and replaced the blue LEDs with some red ones. Much more subtle and I can sleep fine with them. I dont even notice them.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I need a little noise to drown out the tinnitus

Same here.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I work at a resort and some people bring their own fans with them. I joke with them "Is this for airflow or the noise?" I'd say about 90% say "Noise! Can't sleep without it!"

Yeah, and as a society people are always being pushed harder to perform.

Having bad sleep means poor work performance the next day. So, it's worth it.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Wife and I leave a TV on all night. She needs it more than I do. I sleep like a baby all night long.

Back in the day before LCD TVs, I always slept great when I conked out while watching a boring late night show. I would usually wake up around 4AM and switch the TV off and go back to bed.

Can't do this anymore.. modern LCD TVs are way too bright.. but my old 20" CRT TV was just bright enough that the light didn't penetrate through my eyelids while I laid in bed.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Wife and I leave a TV on all night. She needs it more than I do. I sleep like a baby all night long.

My wife likes the TV on when she is in there alone and also a tower fan blowing directly on her. She gets hot!

I dislike TV noise and the light it produces in the bedroom.

Interesting. Strange but true.. I will get an old NASCAR race on my phone and play it as I go to sleep at times. I enjoy hearing Bob Jenkins, Benny, and Ned calling a race. Plus the sounds of the cars being repetitive helps strangely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back