current AS 7/32 or Hankook I-Pike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

The current tires all-seasons CS5 Touring are 7/32 front and 8/32 back (never rotated).

I see some cheap HANKOOK WINTER I*PIKE , in my size for my Yaris, 185/60/15.

This winter looks it may be tough/cold/...........
I drive in the Chicago area, where they usually are pretty good at cleaning up
I know from last winter, that in 1.5 " snow, my current tires will not "bite"

What should I do?

Last edited:
I ran those hankooks on a RWD volvo. Followed a Jetta on newish all seasons through a twisty curvy road at 35 mph. He spun out in the snow. I stopped.
smile.gif

You're wearing rubber when you drive, so you'll be saving your all-seasons by driving on the snows.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
General AltiMAX Arctic

While not directly answering the question in the post, I agree that these are one of, if not the best, cheap snow tire out there. The new model from general is also a top contender for its low cost.

I have the older model on the mr2 in the winter and have never had any kind of problems with hills or slipping.

OP, no matter what, any snow tire will be night and day difference from your all seasons especially in a fwd vehicle with a non-LSD trans.

I had those Hankooks on a car I used to have, they were great. (Hyundai Tiburon) The car was absolutely worthless in the snow with the stock all season tires, but it was great in the snow after I put them on. Totally transformed the car. If you found a good deal on them, I'd definitely go for it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I ran those hankooks on a RWD volvo. Followed a Jetta on newish all seasons through a twisty curvy road at 35 mph. He spun out in the snow. I stopped.
smile.gif

You're wearing rubber when you drive, so you'll be saving your all-seasons by driving on the snows.

El Jefe,

What would be your take if only possible (space constraints) to have only one set of tires?

Again, my current tires are pretty good in dry/wet, but i already know they are worthless in snow/ice....

Update:

They where out of the Hancooks, (yep it's November)

so I bought 4 Nexen Winguard Sport .

What should I do with the 7/32 (x 2) and 8/32 (x 2) Cooper CS5 , currently on?

Craigslist?

I want to sell the car in less than a year....

I couldn't complain about the Nexen Winguard Sport, as long as you know what they are meant for.

the current tires, the easiest option is to pay the disposal fee for the shop to dispose them.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
What should I do with the 7/32 (x 2) and 8/32 (x 2) Cooper CS5 , currently on?

Craigslist? I want to sell the car in less than a year....

I'd keep them or at a minimum sell them on CL. I wouldn't let the tire shop have them. How old are they and how many miles are on them?

Another guy on here bought some Winguards, but they are the Winspikes. He just got them so no review yet. Just fyi.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4571064/Just_ordered_snow_tires#Post4571064

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I couldn't complain about the Nexen Winguard Sport, as long as you know what they are meant for.

I'll keep the right lane and no crazy stuff.
After all , I drive a stock 1.5L

I wonder how they will do in 50F and rain?

I have had Hankooks IPikes on my 2011 Kia Optima for the past three winters. I find they are very good in deep snow but so so on ice.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Are the HANKOOK WINTER I*PIKE tires studded. If not you really aren't going to gain much on ice.

I don't think they where studded.
Anyway, Out of stock, so I went with Nexen Winguard sport.
Should be here next week, will mount after Thanksgiving weekend.

Will put about 1,500 miles on the Copper CS5, before that (48-58F weather)

I had hankook i pikes on the front of my Nissan NV200 van and they handled snow great, if not better than most of my other tires. Better than a Dunlop graspic DS3s on a Honda Accord and IMO better than Firestone Winterforce. The Firestones feel like they float on snow, and the Dunlops just didn't grip for sh*t. Only thing I can say about the i pikes if that they wear fairly quickly. I'm down to around 6/32nds and it's only been used for 3 seasons/15k miles total

What you should do is buy a set of steelies and mount the hankooks on them. It'll save you in the long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back