BMW 335d w/o DPF - M1 TDT or RT6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DPF/SCR fell off my BMW 335d...

Looking to use either Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck or Shell Rotella T6 (both easily accessible in Canada), as those seem to be the most commonly used/recommended 5w-40 oils for the 35ds, as I don't need a low-ash LL-04 compliance anymore.

What would be be the consensus recommendation in this scenario? For DPF-deleted BMWs, is LL-01 something that I should still be looking to conform to?

I read elsewhere that Shell is only Group III, but Mobil has been using Group IV production. Is this true, and does it make a difference?

Last edited:
There's no reason to really avoid an LL-01 oil. Look at the price of TDT versus M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40. European oils in A3/B4 can be found in decent sized containers at decent prices, at least on sale.

With DPF = BMW LL-04 and ACEA C3
With Out DPF = BMW LL-01 and ACEA A3/B4

Castrol Edge 0W40 is what I would use.

Still nothing wrong with M1 TDT or Rotella T6 as an oil, they are good stuff, but why not use BMW LL-01 if you can.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
I thought the new CK-4 T6 was primarily composed of GTL derived group III basestocks. I would use amsoil AME 15w40 in your situation.

Is that bad?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I thought the new CK-4 T6 was primarily composed of GTL derived group III basestocks. I would use amsoil AME 15w40 in your situation.

Is that bad?

No, they have the same shortcomings as other G III basestocks. Both M1 TDT and T6 are now primarily composed of GTL DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR. They are value engineered products with an attractive price which allows them to be sold at Walmart.

If the OP wants a primarily group IV or V oil then he will need to look at other manufacturers to find what he is looking for.

Last edited:

Cmon, the guy lives in Canada!

No, they have the same shortcomings as other G III basestocks. Both M1 TDT and T6 are now primarily composed of GTL DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR. They are value engineered products with an attractive price which allows them to be sold at Walmart.

Like what exactly? I'm referring to these finished oils in particular. What are their specific shortcomings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back