a different sort of pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a thought a couple weeks ago about General Tso's pizza - that sauce, bits of plain chicken, mozzarella on a pizza crust. I did find some others making this on Reddit when I did some looking. I finally got around to making one tonight and the whole family enjoyed it.

I'd like to find a better sauce recipe though.

Anyone else enjoy non-traditional pizza ?

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I had a thought a couple weeks ago about General Tso's pizza - that sauce, bits of plain chicken, mozzarella on a pizza crust. I did find some others making this on Reddit when I did some looking. I finally got around to making one tonight and the whole family enjoyed it.

I'd like to find a better sauce recipe though.

Anyone else enjoy non-traditional pizza ?

I have a pesto sauce recipe if you’re interested sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
I like chicken with wing sauce on my pizza.

Even though I'm Italian background I love Buffalo Wing sauce as the base with bits of Chicken or even just drizzled on regular pizza. Sooooo good!

Last edited:
One of my favorite slices of pizza was baked potato at Antonio's in Worcester.
I am game for trying just about any kind of sauce or topping on pizza, but definitely do not like Hawaiian.
Also had a small pizza that was just supposed to have a few jalapenos to spice it up and the guy ended up just piling them high, that was nasty and hard to eat.
I remember seeing a video about a pizza in China that was topped with very thin slices of some kind of fish I never heard of that would stand up and wave around from the heat of the cheese...looked scary, but I think I'd try it if it were placed in front of me.

One of the best non traditional pizzas we have had was what a little hole in the wall called a Mediterranian Pizza.

Very thin crust, mozzarella.. then had a nice layer of arugula and purple onions and garlic.

Drizzled over the pizza was the sweet dark balsamic reduction that brought everything alive.

We have made it at home a few times since.

So I started with regular pizza dough. I cubed and browned 1 boneless chicken breast, removed it from the heat and set it aside.

Sauce

1 cup sugar
1 strip orange zest
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 Tbsp chopped green onion
1 clove garlic -minced
6 dried whole red chilies
3 Tbsp chicken broth
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp corn starch

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir in the green onion, garlic, whole chiles, and orange zest. Cook and stir a minute or two until the garlic has turned golden and the chiles brighten. Add 1/2 cup sugar, the ginger, chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and peanut oil; bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.

Dissolve 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into the water, and stir into the boiling sauce. Return to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens and is no longer cloudy from the cornstarch, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes until it thickens.

Pour enough sauce over the chicken to wet it.

Roll out your crust for a pizza
top with General Tso's Sauce
Sprinkle/spread out the chicken on the crust (I used all the chicken for one pizza, and had extra sauce)
Top with mozzarella cheese (not sure on the ammount, but it looked like regular pizza to me at this point)

I baked this on a pre-heated pizza stone at 500 degrees until nicely browned.

If it doesn't have tomato sauce-mozzarella-pepperoni or Italian sausage you can keep it because it's not a pizza to me. Bacon, onion and maybe mushroom are also acceptable.

We found a recipe that we like quite well.

1/4-1/2 lb bacon cooked and chopped. Save the grease and in the same frying pan saute a lb. of spinach or your favorite greens. spread on a thin crust pizza shell (homemade is best of course0. top with bacon and dollops of ricotta cheese.
Drizzle with olive oil cook and enjoy.

And thin crust is way better than thick especially on this one.

Originally Posted By: Fred_Garvin
We found a recipe that we like quite well.

1/4-1/2 lb bacon cooked and chopped. Save the grease and in the same frying pan saute a lb. of spinach or your favorite greens. spread on a thin crust pizza shell (homemade is best of course0. top with bacon and dollops of ricotta cheese.
Drizzle with olive oil cook and enjoy.

And thin crust is way better than thick especially on this one.

No sauce? Otherwsise sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back