What did I miss, and when did I miss it ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that as of about a year or do back that Fram and the Orange Can Of Death were considered marginally improved over a roll of paper towels stuffed in a bean can.

Purolator became Tearolator (although I have not personally encountered a torn Purolator filter), and now that Purolator and Wix are now under the same ownership, it seems that Fram is now the golden child.

I can't really envision Mann & Hummel allowing either Purolator or Wix to go tumbling into the abyss of quality . . . but then again, Sears parted company with Whirlpool after a century, and sold off Craftsman, so anything is possible.

What happened, when, and what did I miss ????

Thanx in advance.

I have probably run 100 to 200 OCOD over the years and have never had an issue with them. Fram offers a filter for just about everyone's need or circumstance. I have seen good and bad Purolator made product. Some of Purolator designs are good while some of them are not so good.

Fram was never bad. It just happens to outsell pretty much every other brand by at least 10:1 so the reporting of issues was greater as a result. Manufacturing defects can happen in any plant, engineers have bad days, specs get misquoted.

I stopped using Fram oil filters 25 or so years ago. At that time, I owned a ‘91 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6. I installed a Fram filter and the oil pressure went nutty. You could watch the pressure gauge fluctuate up and down at idle speed. The next oil change, I went to an FL-400s. Problem solved! Only NAPA Gold or Motorcraft went on that truck from then on. Lesson learned, I haven’t bought Fram oil filter since and never will.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
It seems that as of about a year or do back that Fram and the Orange Can Of Death were considered marginally improved over a roll of paper towels stuffed in a bean can.

So who were you during most of that year or two? You joined in April of this year, what was your screen name before you became "HouseTiger"?

I used to bash the OCOD, but if Honda and Subaru trust Fram to supply their service filters(Detroit Diesel supposedly uses Fram as well, but now that their new engines are basically Mercedes heavy-duty engines built in America they might as well use Mann or Mahle), that's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Never ever seen a OCOD with torn media.

I most CERTAINLY have... several times! - - but it's been a few years

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Never ever seen a OCOD with torn media.

I most CERTAINLY have... several times! - - but it's been a few years

So were these filters abused or were they run on sane intervals like MrQuackers runs?

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
I, Sears parted company with Whirlpool after a century,

Not exactly.

Whirlpool will still produce many of the Sears Kenmore branded appliance as always.

Sears just won't be selling Whirlpool branded appliances in their stores.

Fram up graded the quality of the Orange cans
over the last couple of years. They've even added
silicon ADBV on some orange filters.

The gold can is the filter standard these days.

My 2¢

Sears going down the tubes vs. Mann+Hummel buying Purolator are not comparable. Sears ran on an ancient business model and did not keep up with the times. I don't think M+H buying Purolator had anything to do with their decrease in quality. If it did, we would see WIX filters starting to suck.

Genuine Mann filters (not to be confused with a re-badged Purolator Classic) are some of the best you can get. Well above WIX and Fram.

The FRAM Ultra happened. It's an excellent filter at an excellent price. I still wouldn't use an OCOD given the deformation of them I've seen in the past, but the Ultra is an excellent filter that I recommend without a 2nd thought.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The FRAM Ultra happened. It's an excellent filter at an excellent price. I still wouldn't use an OCOD given the deformation of them I've seen in the past, but the Ultra is an excellent filter that I recommend without a 2nd thought.

My Amsoil filters are the same price as Walmart for the Fram Ultra. I will keep using the EAK/EAO's. But if I'm in the US I would pick-up some Ultra's for sure.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My Amsoil filters are the same price as Walmart for the Fram Ultra. I will keep using the EAK/EAO's. But if I'm in the US I would pick-up some Ultra's for sure.

I've got them at CT for under $10/filter. At that price, you can't avoid buying them, LOL. Right now I have an EaO on the Jeep though.

Tear-o-lator issues have been noticed for about 4 years.
Fram Ultra is the only thing to buy these days. OK, Royal Purple oil filters are very good. Amsoil EAO oil filters good enough. All others, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back