Packing at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you carry differently at home than out in public? I can open carry in public here, but I don't. At home right now, I have my CW380 in my back pocket as always, but I also have a 629 6" on (EP Saddlery 1890).

Last edited:
I have a gun where I can access it at home. I don't carry a gun in my house.

I carry, no difference being home or not. Several more options at home if I need them though. If you don’t carry in your home BG coming into your home has a good chance of coming between you and wherever your weapon is stored. Not a good situation.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
I carry, no difference being home or not. Several more options at home if I need them though. If you don’t carry in your home BG coming into your home has a good chance of coming between you and wherever your weapon is stored. Not a good situation.

I think it depends on how your house is set up. It is impossible for anyone to get into my house quickly with the type of windows and doors I have. Most windows are not accessible either.

Now if some is at the door at night where it might be difficult to recognize them, I will go and check with the firearm in my shooting hand behind my back.

Some of you guys must live in really rough areas to find it necessary to carry at home.
A 12 gauge pump is the only home defense weapon anyone needs anyway. Just racking in a shell will stop almost any malefactor in his tracks and you don't really have to aim a shotgun. General direction works just fine.
The ultimate home security system is and always has been a 110+ lbs protective breed of dog.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Some of you guys must live in really rough areas to find it necessary to carry at home.
A 12 gauge pump is the only home defense weapon anyone needs anyway. Just racking in a shell will stop almost any malefactor in his tracks and you don't really have to aim a shotgun. General direction works just fine.
The ultimate home security system is and always has been a 110+ lbs protective breed of dog.

It's very easy to miss with a shotgun. They DO need aimed. And it's generally frowned upon to give a tactical advantage to a bad guy by "racking a shotgun". Now he knows your posistion, and that you have a shotgun, while you know nothing about them. Think about that for a little bit.

In a home invasion any weapon not on your body is worthless.
Its been reported that some of them are starting to wear bullet proof vest..

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

In a home invasion any weapon not on your body is worthless.
Its been reported that some of them are starting to wear bullet proof vest..

Your chances of dying at due to cardiac arrest is magnitudes greater than in a home invasion. Do you have an AED unit at home?

Just racking in a shell will stop almost any malefactor in his tracks and you don't really have to aim a shotgun. General direction works just fine.

First point is an urban myth. What do you do when your mind is set for the intruder to run and he doesn't? Oh yeah, point the shotgun in his general direction and pull the trigger. You haven't shot a shotgun at close ranges to see the spread, try it and report back. If racking doesn't scare him off a near miss isn't going to either. Do what you want but please don't recommend this course of action to others.

Quote:
Your chances of dying at due to cardiac arrest is magnitudes greater than in a home invasion. Do you have an AED unit at home?

Heck no, those things are expensive.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Very low crime in my area. Maybe because everyone's packing?

Or maybe because it's always 420 in Colorado
lol.gif

Yeah, the Joe Biden theory of home defense. Proven to fail in many situations.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

It's very easy to miss with a shotgun. They DO need aimed. And it's generally frowned upon to give a tactical advantage to a bad guy by "racking a shotgun". Now he knows your posistion, and that you have a shotgun, while you know nothing about them. Think about that for a little bit.

Absolutely. I am a bad guy and if I am armed I am unleashing a hellstorm on that sound in the dark. No honor among thieves.

Originally Posted By: Al

You defend yourself against cardiac arrest by taking care of yourself.
You defend your home by any means necessary.

My wife and I both are CPR trained and CHL holders.
Two fire stations close by... police?

For the most part home invaders work during the day when people are at work.
I worry for my wife when she retires and is at home alone.

FYI, I live in the area that leads the world in Capital Punishment.

Last edited:
My solution to this issue was to work very hard right out of college so I could afford to live in an area where this issues is of virtually zero concern.

Shrug.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

My wife and I both are CPR trained and CHL holders.
Two fire stations close by... police?

For the most part home invaders work during the day when people are at work.
I worry for my wife when she retires and is at home alone...

My wife and I are as well.

She's retired and has a .380 when at home and a .38 Special Derringer when in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back