your strange siblings.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Thanksgiving is coming, and supposedly is a time to be with family,

what are the strange things they/siblings do?

I'm not really close to my bigger sister (9.5 years bigger then me), but I'm still remember things done just for the sake of being bad/mean.

I'm seeing something similar in my 2 kids (3 years apart) where sometime they cannot get along or just trying to control the other....

At my wedding, my cousins (which both my parents helped a lot), never even bother to call me or send a note to congratulate for the occasion...

so BITOGers, have at it!

As I've noted before, I'm tremendously blessed to be an only child- as is my son. I think that for every family where the siblings get along well there are 10-15 others where the relationship is tense at best.

I'll be seeing my sister for the 2nd time in about 4 years, even though she lives about 12 miles away. We haven't really talked much in the last few years. She actually doesn't really talk with anyone in my family except my mom, and half the time they end up fighting and not speaking to each other for weeks afterward. My sister didn't come to my grandmother's wake or funeral about 3 months ago because she didn't want to see any of the family, and because she didn't want to tell anyone she's now working as a stripper, even though I think everyone already knows. This will also be the first time she meets my daughter, who is 19 months now.

I'm also an only child so I can't speak from personal experience.

My wife is a twin and when I met her as a teenager, the two of them were constantly at each other's throats. Now that they're adults they're extremely close. My whole family on both mom and dad's side as well as all of my wife's family live within a 50 mile radius. I'd say we're all very close to each other. The holidays aren't any different than the rest of the year; just another excuse to get together and eat.

Haven't spoken to my sister in eleven years. She didn't like my choice for a wife.

Brother died of heart failure due in part to drug use about the same time.

Just my wife and her family now. My mother passed away way back in 1986 and my father and I do not communicate.

Just love Thanksgiving.

My sister was a very strange person who didn't know the meaning of the word tomorrow...she should do whatever she could to get what she wanted right then, no thought as to what the costs might be down the road. She was quite a bit older than me and was tasked to keep track of me when I was little, but I could barely stand to be near her after I was around 9 or so.
We had her over for Thanksgiving a couple of times after our father died (mother was long, long passed) and I learned that she couldn't say no to any food that was directly offered to her...if she didn't want to eat it, she would just take it and smash it into her napkin under the table. My wife was about to go through the roof and I had to remind her in the kitchen that I left her crazy family members alone and expected the same behavior from her.
My sister ate whatever the heck she wanted with no regard for her health and developed diabetes and heart trouble, which don't run in my mother's or father's families at all. After she passed away in her mid 50s, I went to clean out her apartment and found a big stack of unused medicine as well as cakes, cookies, and full sugar sodas in abundance. I think she may have been partway blind before she went and she just kept eating that stuff.
Late in her short life she was diagnosed as being somewhere in the Asperger's spectrum. Her issues went from mild as a teen to fatal in her 50s, she went from having a good group of friends (definitely not the popular crowd) when young to being almost totally isolated in her middle age. I still feel like I never really knew her despite being her brother, think she lived in a very small world that was not really open to others.

My older sister is weird. About 6 years ago she packed up and moved to NYC. She’ll never meet a man because she won’t leave her apartment. She won’t answer anyone’s phone calls. I know she’s alive because she does respond to group texts every once in a while. I wish I could at least talk to her. I know she’s jobless right now as she quit her job as a catholic school principal due to the head priest there. I think she doesn’t want to hear any thing from us. I just want to talk. I wish she would move back home. She is coming home next month for my baby sisters wedding though.

That is so sad.
Growing up I had fights and such with my siblings (1 older sister, 2 older brothers, 1 younger brother, 2 younger sisters), but we all get along now.
I am lucky that they all live nearby except 2 (younger brother passed away, youngest sister lives in DC). We get together as a family (mother and siblings and their kids as well) and I see all of them at least once a month on top of that, if not more.
My youngest sister is the only one I don't get along great with, but we get along and talk when she does visit.
One of my brothers is my motorcycle ridding buddy, my oldest brother is wanting to get a bike so he can come with us. My oldest sister and her husband are coming up to the lake house with us this weekend.
While I don't see my cousins real often (3-4 times a year), we all get along well, my younger sister and her family have gone on several trips with one cousin and his family.
My kids know all their aunts and uncles and see them often, as well as their cousins.

As far as strange things they do, well, the brother I ride with has a horrible habit of not answering his phone or returning calls.
My youngest sister has some odd views of the world compared to the rest of the family (she has become very liberal, and her husband is as well. The rest of the family is pretty conservative).

I see my brother once every two or three years. He is a bit of a hermit and thinks poorly of just about everyone. He did a lot of drugs early in his life but has stopped now, and had paranoid hallucinations. They have stopped now but he absolutely believes we were all making fun of him and whispering about what a loser he is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
My older sister is weird. About 6 years ago she packed up and moved to NYC. She’ll never meet a man because she won’t leave her apartment. She won’t answer anyone’s phone calls. I know she’s alive because she does respond to group texts every once in a while. I wish I could at least talk to her. I know she’s jobless right now as she quit her job as a catholic school principal due to the head priest there. I think she doesn’t want to hear any thing from us. I just want to talk. I wish she would move back home. She is coming home next month for my baby sisters wedding though.

Be careful what you wish for...

Originally Posted By: judsonj
My brother doesn't change his own oil, he's dead to me.

^ LOL!!

I do miss my siblings, which is odd because we all live within 10 miles of each other and were pretty close when we were young. We're all in different stages of life now, different work schedules and our kids are vastly different ages. It also doesn't help that I miss a lot of holiday celebrations with my shift work. It's been this way for 20+ years.

Last edited:
My older brother is kind of weird, but we get along pretty well and see each other often, a few times a week.

My sister is 10 years younger than me, almost 13. We get along good too but she lives with my mom, I'd like to visit more often, they live 40 miles across town.

My brother doesn't change his own oil, he's dead to me.

No kidding!! My jackwagon brother had me change his oil last weekend in MY garage. Then proceeded to drink MY beer!!!

We get along good. When we were teens, not so much.

[/quote]

No kidding!! My jackwagon brother had me change his oil last weekend in MY garage. Then proceeded to drink MY beer!!!

We get along good. When we were teens, not so much. [/quote]

I hope you used a Purolator filter, that will show him.

My wife's the eldest of 6 kids, all of whom reside within 10 minutes of her parents. They have huge family events and while there are undercurrents of discord sometimes they generally play well together. I have one BIL who avoids family events except Christmas (so he can get gifts), and he's not the most popular guy in the family. Probably doesn't help that he's not caucasian and my FIL isn't a fan of his little girls marrying non-white, non-Catholic, non-professionally-employed men.

My family is polite but distant...my youngest sister was shacked up with a guy for 5 or more years and married to him for years and I never met him. He died unexpectedly a couple of years ago. My other sister is uber-liberal and home schools her flaky little kid. They live about 100 miles away but she and I have very little to talk about. I love my parents, but our relationship if much more formal than the relationships within my wife's family.

Best example I can give is that it's not unusual for my in-laws or other relatives on my wife's side of the family to just show up and knock on the door...only way I'm knocking on my parents' door without calling a day or two in advance is if I'm being chased by a hungry bear and they would NEVER show up unannounced.

Last edited:

We get along good. When we were teens, not so much. [/quote]

I hope you used a Purolator filter, that will show him. [/quote]

SIL got her brakes changed on her now sandwich-defunct Toyota Celica. I just changed the same brakes (rotors+pads +re-lubed all pins) less then a year before.
The tech was a lady.
Well... if their word is more the mine, then more power to them (with her money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back