Timing Belt Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mitsuboshi CD304 timing belt from an Aisin kit. It is pliable and hangs in a smooth loop. I also got a Bando TB307 belt which is required for my application. The Bando belt is very stiff and has 4 bends that are set in the belt. That is, the weight of the hanging belt does not straighten the bends. The Amazon seller removed the belt from its Bando box and then jammed the belt and the Bando box in a smaller outer box for shipping. I’m going to ask Bando about this but was wondering what you folks thought. I remember installing a Gates timing belt that was stiff similar to the Bando belt. It worked fine but was noisy. After a couple months I replaced it with a Mitsuboshi belt which was much quieter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Use only Mitsuboshi or Aisin(KITS) when it comes to timing belts and their related parts(tensioners, oil seals, water pumps).

I don't know. The Band is a drive belt, right? Power steering, alternator, AC?

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Gebo
I don't know. The Band is a drive belt, right? Power steering, alternator, AC?

Huh?

Your Bando belt is not the timing belt, correct? It's one of the skinny belts for the PS. ALT or AC.

IF it is not the timing belt, I'd put in on. I don't think it would ever "relax" out like the thinner more pliable timing belt.

Last edited:
Both timing belts are they? The Bando is a good belt no reason not to use it, a serpentine belt (I assume the Bando) is constructed differently than a timing belt.

Sorry for the confusion. The Bando is also timing belt. Had to buy because the Mitsuboshi timing belt in the Aisin kit does not fit but all other parts do. I have had very good experience with both Bando and Mitsuboshi timing belts. But I never got one that was repackaged in a way that caused bends in the belt that have such a set the belt won’t straighten itself under its own weight.

Gotcha! In my packages I had got the Bando as one or both of the serpentine belts. That's why I was asking. If the timing belt is all cattywampus, yeah, I'd send it back. At least I'd sleep better at night

Had to buy because the Mitsuboshi timing belt in the Aisin kit does not fit but all other parts do.

That didn't raise any red flags that you may have the wrong kit?

But I never got one that was repackaged in a way that caused bends in the belt that have such a set the belt won’t straighten itself under its own weight.

I have, twice. It's not a cause for concern. Bends are fine. Kinks are what you need to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Had to buy because the Mitsuboshi timing belt in the Aisin kit does not fit but all other parts do.

That didn't raise any red flags that you may have the wrong kit?

But I never got one that was repackaged in a way that caused bends in the belt that have such a set the belt won’t straighten itself under its own weight.

I have, twice. It's not a cause for concern. Bends are fine. Kinks are what you need to worry about.

Guess it is hard to tell the difference between a bend and a kink. Re the kit, yes I had to carefully check and recheck OEM part numbers. The kit is for Subaru Foresters and Imprezas which use a modified curvilinear timing belt. The Outback uses all of the other parts except it takes a curvilinear belt. The only other part in question was the cog idler which took a little sorting out. I bought an OEM as backup but don’t think I will need it.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
OEM

For timing belt, cog idler or everything? Everything in the kit except Mitsuboshi belt is OEM or equivalent - NTN tensioner, Koyo and NSK idlers and the made in Japan Aisin WP which almost certainly was sourced from Yamada.

We get Gates and Conti timing belts all the time that have some bends in them, as long as they're not creased its not a problem.

If the belt isn't creased or kinked, it should be fine. The rule of thumb on timing belts is no kinks, creases and don't bend it past the radius of the smallest pulley in the drive.

Bando and Mitsuboshi make fine belts but I'm weary of 3rd party sellers on Amazon unless they are very reputable like a dealer. I don't know if Worldpac includes in their wholesale agreements no 3rd party sales via Amazon or eBay. I do know Amazon does stock Bando themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back