Key Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a blank key and an original key for my motorcycle.

Want to get it cut, so that I can have a spare key too.

Checked Lowe's, HD and Pep Boy's, was told they don't cut it. Any other thoughts, Walmart or anything else? provided I take my own blank key with me.

PS: checked Ace too, 2 of them can't because of liability. Thanks for the help.

My corner indy hardware store did this.

I got a resistor key blank for my buick off ebay for $7 (dealer wanted $50) and they cut it for like 80 cents.

You need to go where the owner is in the store.

Thanks, mine is not a chip one or any programmable one, it's just a plain simple metal one.

I'll check local hardware store too.

Locksmiths have the ability to cut weird keys because of the commercial key systems and they also often times carry replacement vehicle keys that can learn from the old keys or that have matching resistance value. They are often times mobile so you can meet them somewhere or have them come to you.

Go to good locksmith. The key cut machines at HD or Lowe's or local hardware stores are rarely adjusted to be in spec. A good locksmith will adjust their key cut machines to be in spec every few months.

Motorcycle dealer.

I lost the keys to my ATV years back and towed it to a Honda dealer and they cut a key for it. Found the keys later of course...

If it's just a regular key, you can usually find a local key store that will do it. Lots of the chain stores don't want to do it because of the liability if it's a little off and you come back and complain. I had the same problem with a car key, a couple stores didn't want to cut it because they were afraid of ruining it. One guy was willing to do it and it worked fine, only paid him $1. When they only make $1, they don't want to risk ruining a $15-$30 key.

Local locksmith does all my power sport keys. About $3 per key, but they always work (had one that did not work in 1 way, but worked in the other, but he recut a new one no charge).

Originally Posted By: Donald
Go to good locksmith. The key cut machines at HD or Lowe's or local hardware stores are rarely adjusted to be in spec. A good locksmith will adjust their key cut machines to be in spec every few months.

This. A good one can also has the equipment to do chipped keys.

Another factor is that car and motorcycle keys are commonly made of steel, rather than brass like most general purpose replacement keys.

Some places refuse to cut steel keys because it's harder on their machines, especially if it's a good quality OE blank provided by the customer.

I once watched a Volvo dealer make a replacement key (from a keycode) using a punch/stamping machine. It wasn't cut/ground at all.

I bought a chip key blank on EBAY and had a hardware store cut the key. Did not work properly. Got another blank and this time went to a good locksmith and after 10 minutes of laughing about how off the first key was he cut the second key and it worked perfectly.

Only down side is now I only trust this locksmith to cut keys. I have brought him house door locks and he has rekeyed them for about $10 so they are all the same key. I find their prices very reasonable. But I always bring stuff to him.

He must have 500 types of key blanks on the wall and 4 or 5 key cutting machines.

Yeah, look for a real locksmith.

I had a few spare keys from my old Suzuki GS500 and my SV650 only came with one key. I went to the locksmith hoping to get a copy of the key, but they didn't have the right blank. I told them that I had my old GS500 key that I compared to my SV650 and it appeared that all the low spots on the GS500 were higher than the SV650, I asked if they would be willing to try recut the old key to match the SV650, telling them that the old bike was totaled. They agreed, and it worked. They didn't want to charge me, but I tipped the guy $5.

Thanks guys, got it done for $2 and working like a charm
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back