Unwise to use X-30 where 5w-20 is specified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it unwise to use 5w or 10w30 in a car that calls for 5w20 if it has high mileage like 225k? Honda element 2003 is starting to use a little oil. I have always used synthetic and changed at 5k. My other vehicles call for 5w30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will hurt a thing. 5w in your climate is more than adequate. Plus tolerances have loosened up a little over time.

At 225K and using some oil, I'd use 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I don't see any problem doing so.

My Honda Fit specs 0w20 but that is to hit the mpg ratings.. I have used 0w30, 5w20, 5w30 with no issue.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Is it unwise to use 5w or 10w30 in a car that calls for 5w20 if it has high mileage like 225k? Honda element 2003 is starting to use a little oil. I have always used synthetic and changed at 5k. My other vehicles call for 5w30.

I currently own a 2007 vehicle that is sped'd 5W20 oil. Back in 1997 when this engine was first produced it was spec'd 5W30. The engine was made from 1997-2008 without EVER changing tolerances or clearances.
In 1999-2000 for CAFE reasons ONLY, the manufacturer started to spec 5W20 for said engine to save gas mileage. The previous years' same engines were also back spec'd.
So, no, you don't HAVE TO use 5W20 in an engine spec'd 5W20.
BTW, I'm currently running 5W30 in my engine and sometimes 10W30.

Originally Posted By: pbm
At 225K and using some oil, I'd use 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I don't see any problem doing so.

I'm with him pbm....

I'm currently using a 5-30 in the same engine as your Element. This is the first run of it (used 5-20 previously) and there is absolutely no difference in performance, mpg, or noise at startup. I decided to switch it and the '01 Civic to 5-30 so I only have to buy one grade. The current fill in the CR-V is Valvoline Synthetic with Maxlife Technology.

I am currently using a 5w30 in both my F150 and Corolla. Both are spec'd for 5w20. We had a little issue with burning, ever since switching, we have absolutely no consumption. I would say you're fine making the switch.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly

5w30 isn't going to hurt anything. But have you tried cleaning / replacing the PCV valve first? (OE Replacement only though)

I ran 30wts in my Santa Fe and it was spec'ed for 5w20. Look at the miles I got. (In my signature).

Last edited:
0W -Xx doesn't help when subbing for a 20 grade. Its not "Thinner" than a 5w or a 10w at any reasonably anticipated ambient where you live.
part-synthetic 0w would likely make oil burning WORSE; But with likely worn valve guides and stem seals, oil choice wont make much difference.

QSUD 10w30 non-dexos is your oil, buddy
smile.gif

Looks like that synthetic OC regimen and 5K changes didn't get the engine to 300K.
I wonder why ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back